Nav Station Hanging Locker Storage Ideas

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

ken, i did zoom in, as much as i could.  i still cant tell
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Dave Spencer

Quote from: KWKloeber on April 20, 2018, 09:46:08 AM
Quote from: anaisdog on April 20, 2018, 05:49:12 AM
and Roc, is your hanging locker wood, inside?  are they shelves directly connected to the locker or are they on wood strips then the locker? thanks

Zoom in!!

You can see the wooden cleats on the sides. And the flat bars on the basket assembly ( typically screwed through when installing in the base o r onto shelves of kitchen cabinets.)

Ken,
I think Becki's question is related to the wood sidewalls rather than the cleats.  It looks like newer boats like Roc's are lined with wood (cedar?) compared to the picture I posted where one can see that the wall is bare fibreglass.  Or maybe Roc lined the locker himself. 

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

KWKloeber

<<are they shelves directly connected to the locker or are they on wood strips then the locker?>>

Sounds like a "cleat" question to me?

b
what r u using. U need a betR zoomer!?  :D
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

U can see the cleats r two pcs of 3/4 stock.
See the glue that oozed out of the joint?  :shock:

(and the cedar lining)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

anaisdog

Yes, Dave, that is what i was asking.  my nav hanging locker is just fiberglass so i need to know how to attached the shelves.  thanks

anaisdog

Ken, my locker is fiberglass, not wood

KWKloeber

B

I didn't say yours was anything.
I answered your 2 (clearly and well stated) questions - photo answers both:

1) What R roc's sides made of? and
2) how his baskets were attached (to wood strips or directly to the sides)? Pretty clear questions.

If you're asking a different question like, how can I attach to mine, well, that's a different, uh, question, 'eh?

First, is there any backing you can screw into?
Epoxy cleats to the fiberglass (use microfibers, which is the best adhesive property and mixes easiest). I'd block the cleats in place while the epoxy cures. An option would be to 5200 them in place but I don't see any benefit.

That's ass/u/ming what I envision the access/construction to be on yours, but above suggestions might be modified if I had hands on a 34.

anaisdog

i do have 4200 laying around, now that i'm using almost solely butyl tape, so i could use that for the cleats.  it's just raw fiberglass in my hanging locker, nothing else.  thanks

KWKloeber

Quote from: anaisdog on April 20, 2018, 11:55:35 AM
i do have 4200 laying around, now that i'm using almost solely butyl tape, so i could use that for the cleats.  it's just raw fiberglass in my hanging locker, nothing else.  thanks
No benefit. Possible to use, but read between the lines.   I wouldn't, but YBYC.

If it's been hanging around previously opened, 5200 may be toast by now.
Never never ever ever use 5200 or 4200 as a SEALANT (butyl). It's an ADHESIVE.

anaisdog

read btn what lines?  it's an adhesive.  what am i missing?  what should i use to adhere wood to fiberglass?

KWKloeber

I SAID.  Epoxy w microfibers!!

U CAN use 5200 but there's no benefit over epoxy and IIWML I wouldn't.
But YBYC as always n

anaisdog

i didn;t know 4200 had microfibers.  thanks

KWKloeber

Jesus H Christ.  Where did I ever say that 5200 has microfibers? Go back and read the posts!!!!
You must be at work and distracted from the boat tweets. LOL.

Time to back out of this one. s-l-o-w-l-y. 

-k

anaisdog

i have no idea what you are on about.  but okay, thanks Ken

Stu Jackson

Quote from: anaisdog on April 20, 2018, 01:17:25 PM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
what should i use to adhere wood to fiberglass?

Becki,

In addition to building the drawers in the nav station hanging locker, as shown in the link in one of my earlier posts, I added shelving in the starboard V berth locker.  I used open weave shelves that were wider than the door opening up there, 'cuz those shelves don't slide out.

I do not recommend using glue to install the cleats.  Why?  Because you need to fasten the cleats to the walls of the locker anyway to support them in the interim time while the glue sets up and hardens, which requires some kind of mechanical fasteners.  So, why not just screw or bolt them in to begin with?  :D

There's easy access from both the head side and the saloon side to drill through with bolts.  If you feel the need for waterproofing from the head side, just treat the bolt heads with butyl tape as you tighten them.  You can use finish washers or fender washers.

Your boat, your choice.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."