Pacific Northwest Catalina Rendezvous

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Illman

We attended the C42 Fleet 12 spring rendezvous this past weekend at Roche Harbor Resort in the San Juan Islands. The past few years, due to dwindling participation, they've expanded their invitation to all Catalina owners in Washington and British Columbia.

Besides the usual potlucks and happy hours, there had been arranged talks by fleet members on winch maintenance, provisioning, plumbing, and a presentation on clearing US Customs by the local CBP agent. Fun things included a dinghy parade, disk golf (ashore) and a treasure hunt. The best part was meeting new friends and seeing how people organize and outfit their boats.

In addition to the eight to ten Catalina 42's, there were a couple 47's, a 40, two 34's, two 32's, three of us 30's and a 29. Not sure where the 36'ers were? At least eight boats came from B.C.

For all of you sailors on the Salish Sea, you should mark this on your calendar for next year. You won't be disappointed.  :thumb:

Craig Illman
S/V Mocha 1990 #5898 SRFK

Jeff Tancock

Too bad we were not aware of the rendezvous  this year. We could have been there.
Maybe next year!
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Sailing Steve

Sorry we missed it as well.  I wasn't aware of it past or present; Is it advertised widely?
Steve
'90 Mk I.5 "L'Abri"
Hull# 1080

Stu Jackson

I'd simply put it on my calendar for late April or early May and read 48 North.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Craig Illman

Ok, I must have seen it around February or March in the 48 North and followed up since we had a strong recommendation from a couple we met last September at Friday Harbor. Next year, when I hear details again, I'll make sure to post something here and the C30 newsgroup which I also participate.

Craig Illman

The 2017 rendezvous will again be at Roche Harbor, May 4 - 7th. I'll remember to post something again next March or so.

Craig Illman

From Count Ferrari: To register, all he needs are name/s of owners, boat name, length and home port.  Just email request to Count.Ferrari at gmail.com

The Count has counted 33 boats but keep in mind we have an infiltrator which is a Cal 35 who asked to come.  A high level meeting took place and we decided in favor of this lonely wayfarer.  So 32 Catalinas and one other make up the current total.

Consider decorations/theme (make it UP) on your dink for the decorated tender contest!  Judges will be selected at the event.  See Don Paget, our head judge.

Also, see page 14 in the Fall 2016 Mainsheet

Looks like four C34's so far and I don't see Stu signed up yet?

Craig Illman

Stu Jackson

I just sent count my input.  Where does one go to see who is "signed up?"
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Craig Illman

Stu - Ask Eric, aka the Count, for a list.

Craig

Craig Illman

We just returned from the 2017 PNW Catalina Rendezvous where I finally got to meet, in person, the indescribable (as in words aren't enough), Stu Jackson for the first time in the twelve years I've been participating here. I had a great time, Patti had a great time. The weather was the best it's been all spring here in the PNW. All the other owners were friendly and hospitable, although this one couple was plying us with beverage I believe in an attempt to get us to buy their 42.  :?  We also spent some time in the salon with a former US Cabinet member and her husband. A couple different women took eight other women out on their two 42's to practice anchoring and docking. Sailors are Friendly!

So, for you sailors of the Salish Sea, mark your calendars for the first weekend in May 2018 to join us at Roche Harbor, you won't be disappointed.

Craig Illman

Stu Jackson

Really was a great four days.  It was my first real cruise, other than a few overnights, since we got up here last September.  It was great meeting Craig and Patti.  The entire group was fun, activities were varied & interesting and Roche Harbor is a gem.  There is nothing like it where I came from.  I had a great time.

Stu Jackson

Coming up again, May 3 - 6, 2018.

Please join us.

Jeff Tancock

I miss this every year!
Where is the info to be found?
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Stu Jackson

Jeff,

Click on the link in reply #5, and it pops up with 2016, but click on the newer years on the right side of the page.