Is the c34 right for us?

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

If we have more than 4 adults with us I make sure people rotate through the stern perch seats, some folks like them so much they spend the whole sail there. It can feel crowded, but it is doable.  You can also plan your sail with a minimum of tacks/gybes to make sail handling easier.  Also make sure all the "cruising" gear is stowed in the car rather than under the cockpit seat.  Long weekend with wife and 3 girl friends only problem was the size of the holding tank :cry4`  All boats are a compromise, I personally like the looks of the Mk1s, but the Mk IIs definitely have a bigger cockpit with basically the same layout.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jim Hardesty

I agree with most of the comments.  My 2cents is that with the MKll or any of the models with the perch seats, sailing with 6 in the cockpit is doable.  I've had more for a sunset/booze cruise.  Of course for a race or windy sail, that would be a crowd   IMHO There are few sailboats with a larger or more comfortable cockpit.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Steve_in_lex

I second all the earlier comments, and our MK II is fine with six in the cockpit, especially with the perches, which are the best seats in the house.  One caution with respect to single-handing is that the mainsheet and traveler controls are on the cabin, so if you single-hand a lot, you might want to adjust their fittings.  I recall there are some threads on the forum about single-handing.

I looked at a lot of comparable boats before choosing the C34 a few years ago, and this seemed the optimal mix of sailing performance, space, sensible layout and seaworthiness.  One other factor is the availability of virtually every replacement part on the boat.  Check out Catalina Direct: Catalina Yachts is in it for the long run.
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Steve_in_lex on April 14, 2018, 10:21:20 AM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
One caution with respect to single-handing is that the mainsheet and traveler controls are on the cabin, so if you single-hand a lot, you might want to adjust their fittings.  I recall there are some threads on the forum about single-handing.>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Here are some links to those threads:

Docking 101  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6379.0.html  [includes a link in Reply #1 to a very good single handed topic]

Single Handing 101  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5445.0.html

Single Handing 101.1  Midship Cleats Pictures  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4921.0.html

Single Handing 101.2 HOPPING OFF THE BOAT IS UNNECESSARY
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5445.msg33766.html#msg33766

Some skippers have modified their traveler and mainsheet lines, many of us haven't 'cuz using the autopilot allows one to run the boat from ahead of the wheel, rather than "being a slave behind the wheel."

Your boat, your choice.  :D

We have one perch seat on our Mark I.  Works great.  I received it as a gift from Al Watson, former owner of hull #55, Kindred Spirit, now owned by Dave Commando.  It's on the port side.  He made it for us after he visited us from the east coast and sailed on SF Bay with us.  He only made one 'cuz he knew we had our BBQ and dinghy outboard and lift on starboard.  Even ONE perch seat makes a difference, and they are extremely easy to build.

Here's one with a lot of pictures:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4804.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

G : All of my comments are for C34 "loaded" with people.  Like Stu said he took a long trip with 2 people as I did with my 1st Mate.  I speak from experience going south to Key West, Florida from the Chesapeake and lived on my 1988 C34 for just over 8 months before returning back to Virginia!!

My thought
Ron, Apache #788

Wayne

I have a mk II and have frequently had six or seven people out for a day sail.  The 'captain's perch' seats over the transom really make it work.  Two people fit there, totally out of the way, and one at the wheel.  No matter where the other three might sit Murphy's law kicks into play . . . someone is occupying the space where someone else needs access to a winch, locker, etc.  But it really does all work out pretty well.
When I bought my boat it was kind of a leap of faith that I was making a good choice.  After a month of getting to know her I realized how fortunate I was with my choice!  Yes we owners might be a little prejudiced regarding our boats, but it is because our boats have met our needs so well.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

mark_53

Quote from: girmann on April 13, 2018, 07:34:29 AM
We are looking at wing keel Catalinas that can fit four adults and we're looking at the c34 as one of the options. We're upgrading from the "larger on the inside than the outside" c28. Are we barking up the wrong tree?

Needs:

• Large cockpit for entertaining while under sail (6 adults)
Yes, six is doable in the cockpit but not for anything longer than a day sail.
  • Wing Keel (we want to stay in the same slip (5' draft, max)
If you only have 5' in a slip, you should look for a deeper slip. 6" just not enough margin in my opinion.
  • Single handing possible
Yes, I do it all the time.  Autopilot and lazy-jacks would help.
  • Wheel steering so guests can "sail"
Would be difficult to find one without it.
  • Practical storage (cockpit and galley)
Never enough storage but that's universal.
  • three sleeping areas
V-berth, Salon area, and aft "captains quarters" are the three areas.  Aft captains quarters is called the "garage" by many owners so unlikely to be used as a sleeping area unless you don't mind clearing out all your stuff.
  • Sitting area and bench (for the dog, of course!)
When my son brings his dog he's happy anywhere.  Get a portable vac to clean up all the hair (he's a lab).
[/list]
I realize asking this of c34 owners is a little biased, but there is a distinct lack of decent boats in my area right now. The choice is to wait until one becomes available or look at something else.
You might consider posting in the boats for sale section of this board that you are in the market for one.  Good luck.

bayates

We have a 2000 MKII and love it.  Most times it is 2 to 4 of us very comfortable In the cockpit, but at raft-ups we have had up to 10.  It is tight but as Stu said no one ever goes hungry or thirsty.  We have figured out where to put the wine cellar and bar plus lots of gear and food storage. 
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA

Mick Laver

These comments are for the C34 Mk II.

• Large cockpit for entertaining while under sail (6 adults)
    You can sail six comfortably, but preferably on long tacks and not sweating performance too much. You won't be doing a lot of fine trimming. We have had NINE (3 were surprise guests. Yay.) and it wasn't totally unpleasant, but I wouldn't do it again.

• Wing Keel (we want to stay in the same slip (5' draft, max)
    Can't speak to this one.

• Single handing possible
    Easy. In fact easier than my 30. As others have mentioned, an autopilot helps greatly.

• Wheel steering so guests can "sail"
    Don't all 34s have wheel steering?

• Practical storage (cockpit and galley)
    There's adequate storage for two of us for a couple of weeks, but we need to provision and store carefully. There's a relatively huge underutilized space under the V-berth that several of us have converted to storage.

• three sleeping areas
    For a night, maybe. Drinks six, feeds four, ... you know. One large caveat is that the C34's (at least the Mk II) holding tank is fairly miniscule.  Six people will fill it up very quickly, so if you're not somewhere with ready access to a pumpout or open ocean you'll be in trouble.

• Sitting area and bench (for the dog, of course!)
    Of course!

We love our C34, so yes in a sense you're asking the wrong audience. We're prejudiced but for good reason. Sails well, plenty of room and storage for two to take longish (~2 wk) trips, cavernous V-berth, very comfortable and great for entertaining, easy accessibility for maintenance and repair, and an amazing and helpful online community.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Roc

One thing not mentioned is what the C34 is used for....she sails very well.  She can take a blow and you won't feel overwhelmed.  You have confidence because you have a lot of lead under you and a sturdy hull.  Compared to other boats with similar size, the C34 has more ballast and is not so tippy. Yes there can be more storage, tankage, etc... but it's a great sailing boat, and she's not so bad looking either  :thumb:
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD