Leaking Fluid Identity In Bilge?

Previous topic - Next topic

BradinPCB

Our boat is an '88 34MKII, sail #808 we've had it for almost a year now.  We weren't sure if the fuel gauge worked or not as it has shown F since we bought her but we've never had a good way to check.  We used her a good bit last year and in early Feb. decided to top off the fuel and see how much we put in.  We MAY have put in a couple gallons but she must have been right at full.  Had a little spill off at the pump but we were now confident that it was a full tank. 

At times there has been a mild fuel aroma that I thought also could have been the air freshener we were using mixing with the regular boat smells but I've never been too sure.  I came to the boat today and decided I definitely smelled something so I popped open the bilge to check.  It was at it's typical amount of liquid but the tampons were WELL used and so I decided to vacuum it out and see what was what.  This is what it looks like.  I took these pics after it has settled a while.  I don't see an unusual amount of oil separating but I also don't know why it is so muddy looking.  There is some separation and I syphoned a bit of that area out.  It is clear and looks like that might be fuel (half moon outer ringin the shallow pail pic - kinda hard to see in pic) but as you can see it is more in the middle of the pack of separation. 

I'm just looking for some confidence in identifying what I've got here.  Is it fuel?  Is the oil just so mixed that it isn't looking separate from the water and making it look muddy?  Is there some transmission fluid here or something else I haven't thought about?  Any wisdom is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Ron Hill

Brad : Unless you have a dripless packing gland, you are mixing raw water with "what ever" it is!!

If the floating unk substance is heavy - it is undoubtly engine oil. Been having to add oil to the engine lately?
If thin then it's probably diesel - you should be able to smell the difference between oil and diesel.

BTW, if your C34 is a 1988 it's a MK I !!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Ed Shankle

If your tank is overfilled you may be getting some leakage from the top of the tank at the fuel gauge cover, due to expansion or just sloshing about while under way. Had that happen when I topped up for winter haul out and it expanded in the spring warmth. Pumped some out and all was well.

Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Ted Pounds

Could be fuel mixed with bottom of the tank gunk. If you have the original aluminum tank there's a chance that you have a pin-hole leak or two in the bottom. Just a thought...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Brad : If it's fuel it can only come from a couple of places:
1. Hole in the tank
2. Overflow hose break or disconnect
3. Filler hose break or disconnect
4. Fuel gage gasket leak

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

patrice

Hi Bead,
Have no idea on the liquid found.
But in your description of boat.  You mention year 88 and mkII.
I bet it is a mk I.
Good lock on your search.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

BradinPCB

Sorry for the delay.  I've been with my mom, who has cancer. :(

We found a leak under the fuel manifold.  Apparently underneath the bottom of the filter is some sort of outlet that seems to have come unscrewed.  We tightened it and it appears to have stopped.  I'm gonna keep an eye on that and see if that gets all of it.