Fuel Vent Overflow

Previous topic - Next topic

sailaway

Yes all the fuel docks in Canada are full service. All the ones I have been too will not let the boat owner pump fuel . Charlie

scgunner

Mike,

There's another option you might consider. You can replace your vent line with a longer one that you can lead to an access point in the aft lazerette, then with that access point you can install a Y-valve with a line to a catch tank. I had considered doing this but with my locker arrangement it's just easier to pop the vent line off and on when I want to top up.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

rmbrown

Too late... The racor lifeguard is installed. :)
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Ron Hill

Guys : At one time BoatUS had a container(bottle) that would fit over the fuel vent and take any overflow.
I bought one, but the problem was that the bolt heads for the aft port side chain plate would not allow you to mount it.

Guess I could have relocated the vent, but seemed tooo much work at the time!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

scgunner

Ron,

I tried that overflow bottle to and ran into the same problem with the backstay bolts, that's why I finally settled on a catch tank system when I want to top off the tank. The Racor unit seems like an interesting option but I'm curious as to what happens when the fuel reaches the Racor unit. If it stops the fuel flow at the vent line and the tank is full wouldn't the fuel come back up the fill line?
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

rmbrown

I think that's the idea... that it backs up the fill and causes the pump to automatically turn off.  I hope never to test the theory. :)
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Noah

Mike- Where does  the "device" sit in your vent line and did you have any trouble installing level or nearly level?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Quote from: rmbrown on February 27, 2018, 08:04:47 AM
I think that's the idea... that it backs up the fill and causes the pump to automatically turn off.  I hope never to test the theory. :)

Folks, you really don't want to do this, you're right.

Look, it's rather simple:  Your BOAT is NOT your CAR.  Do NOT depend on the shutoff on the nozzle.  Ever.

Just fill it manually, and slowly.  Listen as it fills, you'll hear it.

You do NOT ever have to fill it to the brim.  You have a 23 gallon tank, so if you're short a couple of ounces you will never notice.

Remember those old 1970s signs on gas pumps?  Don't overfill, don't top off?  Applicable here.

Whenever I hear of things like this (and I, too, looked at one of those exterior tanks, didn't buy it 'cuz I was right at the boat at a fuel stop that sold them; I found out it didn't work right away), I am reminded of a solution in search of a problem.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Quote from: sailaway on February 22, 2018, 02:53:31 AM
Yes all the fuel docks in Canada are full service. All the ones I have been too will not let the boat owner pump fuel . Charlie

Charlie, maybe where you are in Canada, but not where I am.  They will refuse to pump fuel, they will give you the nozzle to use yourself.  Most likely a spill liability issue for them.

In the 20 years I've had our C34, I have never had anyone else pump my fuel, nor has anyone ever asked to do it for me.  That's 18 years in the USA and two here.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

rmbrown

Quote from: Noah on February 27, 2018, 08:16:09 AM
Mike- Where does  the "device" sit in your vent line and did you have any trouble installing level or nearly level?

Noah... it sits in the vent line.  It wants to be between 0 and 60 degrees from vertical.  My fuel vent line runs over the top of the exhaust hanger and then down to my tank, at about a 45 degree angle so I installed it there.  The weight of the thing makes it even closer to vertical... more like 30 I'd guess. 

It was a piece of cake to install.  Prior to installation, I tried to blow through it.  I found the actuation of the check valve and it's sealing ability impressive.  I'd never trust it to shut off a pump.  I'll continue to operate as if it's not there.  That said, I think it decreases the chances of my getting so caught up watching and listening at the fill that I miss a little dribble at the vent.
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Ron Hill

Guys : I agree with Stu.  I have never had anyone ever require that they and not me to fill my tank!!  If they did I'd tell them the that they are responsible to clean the over flow on the transom!!!
Again the best preventative is to hold a doubled over fuel diaper on the overflow vent!! 

As I posted in the Mainsheet tech notes: your owners manual says the fuel capacity states 24 gal, but when I pulled the tank from the boat the label on the tank states 25 gal!!!

A few thoughts   
Ron, Apache #788