Fuel Vent Overflow

Previous topic - Next topic

rmbrown

Awesome info... thanks one and all. 

I've ordered the racor product since I'll be in there anyway, but I realize it is there to help, not to save me, so I'll implement Stu's log as well.

I appreciate it!
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

rmbrown

For what it's worth, it's on sale now at Defender for $84... Normally about $90 there and $125 at West Marine.
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Noah

Mike- the Boat US testers had the Racor as their "staff pick". They also said it was the size of a grapefruit, so make sure you have enough clearance to install it. Also, the Racor instructions indicate it should be installed  as close to vertical as you can get it — at no less than a 45 degree angle. Then of course there is the unpleasant reality of having to undo "everything" in the way to get to the vent line to install it.... Hmmmm.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

rmbrown

Noah... I'm fortunate(?) in that everything is currently out of the way... I'm installing a heater in that space so fuel and water tanks are out and I've crawled in there a few times already. :)
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

scgunner

Mike,

I like to keep it simple. When I want to top off the tank I just disconnect the overflow line from the transom fitting and put the line into an empty fuel can then fill until you get a splash in the can, after which I run the motor for a few minutes to burn the fuel in the line then reattach the overflow line.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Noah

You're kidding, right? Everytime you fill up  you burrow back to the transom and disconnect the vent?
Standard Rig

mark_53

After over filling a time or two I just watch the fuel gage until it hits full.  Then go slow from there.

Bill Shreeves

I'm still a newbie as we're just now about to start our 3rd season. On our boat the fuel gauge shows 3/4 when about full and I don't feel comfortable with that.  Anyway, I thought I'd share what I learned was an, I'm told, old-school technique:

Fill the tank with generally rapid flow rate with your ear close enough to the fill opening so you can hear the fuel going in to the tank and the air escaping.  You wouldn't catch me doing this with gasoline!  You'll notice an even pitch to the sound.  When the tank is full the pitch will rise noticeably. When you hear the pitch rise stop.  You may hear a couple gurgles but listen for the pitch change.  The pitch change is the fuel beginning to get near or fill the hose to the tank.  If you listen for it, it's hard to miss however, if you fill really slowly you wont hear it.  I was nervous the first time but, an experienced fuel dock hand from my marina "coached" me.   As a precaution, the admiral holds an absorbent cloth over the vent and will tell me if she gets dampness.  That happened only once during the first season with no fuel getting in to the water.   It is a little more challenging for me to hear if its windy or really noisy because my hearing isn't what it used to be.  I do intend to get my fuel gauge squared away but, I'm  not sure how much I'll trust it for fueling.  I'll likely install the Racor Lifeguard in the future as well.

The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

britinusa

We only fill from Diesel Canisters and do not fill past the Nearly full mark.

That should keep us going under motor for about 30 hours, that's not going to happen!

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

scgunner

Noah,

No, I'm not kidding. The only time I top up my tank is at the end of my boating season when the boat isn't going to get used very much(winter). So I usually only top the tank once a year, the rest of the time I usually run about 3/4plus which is plenty of fuel for my outings. I don't know what your aft locker is like(it must be jamb packed)but I just lift the lid, reach around with a socket driver, disconnect the line and stick it in the can, it takes a couple of minutes and about the same for the reverse.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

rmbrown

Interesting!  Mine isn't accessible via the lazarette because the propane tank is in the way.  I have to empty the aft berth, remove the cushions, remove the plywood bulkheads, remove the aft water tank, the fuel tank or both, and then belly crawl 5' into the depths of hell!
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Jon W

Might be the difference between a MK 1 and the newer designs. My vent line is pretty easy to get to as well.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Jon

Remember the MK-1.5 has the separated stern lockers, hence the LP tank is where the vent is in the MK-1 lazerette.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

sailaway

Guys I use a paper towel over the vent hole when I am filling. My right hand is on the fuel fill, my left hand covers the vent with a paper towel. I have a 1986 mk1. Some of the Canada Marina I visit have an absorbing pad on a stick they are very picky about over flow. Charlie

Noah

What!!? No full serve fuel docks in Canada, where you can blame overflow/spills on the attendant???
Standard Rig