Cabin Table

Previous topic - Next topic

patrice

Quote from: Ken Juul on February 17, 2018, 06:54:19 AM
Another option is to just remove the table.  Really opens up the cabin.  If not eating at the cockpit table, we ate on trays.  We don't play cards or games so it wasn't needed for that. Seldom needed the extra bed, if we did brought it to the boat for the duration.  Try it you might like it.

Yep.
This is close to what we do.
I made a new table using the original one as template with the side 2in. shorter for easier access around.
But this one sit in the aft room.
I made what we call our cocktail table, it's 12" x 16".  It make the inside bigger.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

britinusa

Quote from: Ed Shankle on February 17, 2018, 06:57:00 AM
I assume that folding design, or any folding leaf design for that matter, excludes the use of the table as the base for a berth which the original design provides?
Regards,
Ed

Good point Ed. We have never used the table in the lowered position, but we have the cushion filler to convert the table to a berth.

I see no reason why a folding table could not be lowered, opened up (leaves that fold up or fold down) to complete the berth base.

I'll make sure my design does reach the bench edges on 3 sides for that purpose.

Our table is about 2" wider aft of the mast and I wonder if the original table top was like that? The extra width does not seem worth the limitation on the size of the aft leaf.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

britinusa

Is it just me?

For the past few months, it seems that I have an idea to do something and the next Mainsheet Mag, Good Old Boat Mag or Practical Sailor mag has an article on that very same subject.

This months Mainsheet has an article about the Cabin Table!

I'm moving ahead with this project. Fold up Leaf's will have Flap Hinges and Underside pull out supports. Still figuring surface - Like the light color of Formica, but the class finish of epoxy, and the ease of poly finish.

Does anyone have a picture of the Original table on a 1987 Mk 1 to share?

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

mdidomenico

Quote from: britinusa on February 25, 2018, 09:56:47 AM

if it helps, here's a distant picture of an '89 original table.  i can closer pics next time i'm near the boat.
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Stu Jackson

Quote from: britinusa on February 25, 2018, 09:56:47 AM

Paul,  anything in particular you're looking for?

search links -  salon table    saloon table
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

britinusa

Thanks Mdid. (?)

Our table is nothing like that!

I'll post a pic as soon as I can.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Roc

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

jmcdonald

We went the Defender route a couple years ago. We are lucky enough to get to the boat most weekends.
Having lived with the table for a couple of years, we still love it. Very good compromise between plenty of room in the dinette, and still a large enough table for eating or doing work. On a past thread I posted a picture soon after I installed it.

britinusa

Now if I had the budget...

http://www.teakmarinewoodwork.com/

We're spending the weekend on the boat, so I'll take a load of cabin pics including the table.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Noah

My 1990 OME table has a teak ply/veneer, no formica.  I am going to make a smaller top similar to Stu's new cutdown model. . BTW, last week I replaced my cracked black acrylic sliders with formica/laminate-type product from Nevamar.. I picked a white color, (from a million whites available) that matched my other laminate surfaces aboard.  I reused the handles. Followed others advice on the Forum and glued two pieces back to back and it worked great.  Slides easily, is lighter weight, brighter, and gives the appearance of more space.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Joyride

I always thought the table was just too big and we never used as a bed so I went the simple and cheap route.  I bought a big cutting board on amazon and a spray can of clearcoat and this has really opened up the cabin and made it much more comfortable when you have more than two people in the cabin. 
1991 Catalina 34 (mk 1.5) Universal M35 Wing Keel

britinusa

Ok, 1st pic of our existing table.

Just so that you do not crank your neck trying to figure out the layout....

The table is about 13" higher than the original, because all of the surrounding seats are raised.

:D

Here's a link to the rest of the pics
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

patrice

Quote from: Joyride on February 28, 2018, 06:52:33 AM
I always thought the table was just too big and we never used as a bed so I went the simple and cheap route.  I bought a big cutting board on amazon and a spray can of clearcoat and this has really opened up the cabin and made it much more comfortable when you have more than two people in the cabin.

Hi,

This look just like our cocktail table.   :D
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

KWKloeber

Quote from: britinusa on February 28, 2018, 01:24:11 PM
Ok, 1st pic of our existing table.

Just so that you do not crank your neck trying to figure out the layout....

The table is about 13" higher than the original, because all of the surrounding seats are raised.

:D

Here's a link to the rest of the pics

Ok Paul, I'll bite. :?:

Did the PO have LONG legs or a SHORT torso?   :rolling

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

britinusa

Quote from: KWKloeber on March 02, 2018, 09:06:59 AM

Ok Paul, I'll bite. :?:

Did the PO have LONG legs or a SHORT torso?   :rolling

k

:D Neither!

The PO added a raised floor beneath the tale, level with the original seat bases.
That 'deck' has a hole in it that allows the table to be lowered down to the 'new' seats.
Then he added bulkheads athwartships and parallel to the centerline to make additional storage just foward of the battery box (aft seat)

So we have to climb up to the seats.
The Fridge/Freezer compressor is foward of the midships, stbd side water tank, the vent for that is in front of the 'storage box'

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water