Oberdorfer Pump Carbon Bearing Replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

I have replaced the Oberdorfer Pump with a new unit and have the rebuild kit for the old pump.

Using the tool described (thanks Ron) the Oil Seal and Water Seal were easy to remove.

I used a 5/8" socket as a block to hammer out the old carbon bearing without any damage to the pump body.

Now the body is cleaned up and I'm ready for the rebuild.

I see how to replace the two seals, but how to replace the carbon bearing?

It seems to be an interference fit, so my initial guess is to use a block of wood to press it into the pump body.

Cannot find any links to a how to on this one and wondered if anyone has a clue on safe technique.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

KWKloeber

Hmmmm....

IIWMP(roject) I'd be pressing it in w/ my 10" throat C-clamp or my pipe clamp.

Wondering, did they discount parts?

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

britinusa

We purchased the new pump and the rebuild kit from Depco.

:)

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

KWKloeber

Ya. Jus wondering if they discounted it or list?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Paul : I  pressed a new carbon bushing in with a vice.

Thought I mentioned that in a Mainsheet article.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

britinusa

Ron, I found the article May 2002 in the tech notes but did not see any mention of method of replacing the carbon bushing.

It does explain how to replace the seals (removing them with the tool I made as per.)

Paul

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Ron Hill

Paul : It's in an earlier article back in the 1990s!!

I believe that I took a wooden dowel (slightly smaller in diameter than the carbon bushing) and drove out the old bushing from the engine side. Set the pump body on an open metal vice, face side down and tap out the old bushing.
Then I used a wood vice and slowly pressed in the new carbon bushing from the face side of the pump.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

britinusa

That sounds like a technique.

It may cost me $180 for a rebuild kit  :shock:

Will look to see if I can get a wooden dowel the same size as the bushing.

Ideally, I think a wooden dowel that was turned to be almost as wide as the bushing with a step as wide as the shaft.

Seeing how the old bushing caved when I knocked it out with a socket, to say I'm reluctant puts it mildly  :?

But, Faint Heart never gained the love of a fair woman. I'll give it a go.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water