Extending the pushpit

Previous topic - Next topic

Mas Tequila

Totally for sake of argument. The admiral has asked a number of times if I could extend the pushpit rails forward. Her thoughts are added security and the ability to mount a grill more forward instead of hanging off the aft of the push pit. The thought is adding a stanchion halfway between the pushpit and the gate stanchion and welding new rails from the pushpit to the added stanchion and then to the gate stanchion enclosing the cockpit. We already plan on adding other gate stanchions as many have done to make midship boarding easier. The tubing and the stanchions aren't that expensive and my son is a master welder who says it would be a piece of cake for him the weld it up right on the boat with his portable tig welder.

I can't say I'm sold on the idea but don't really have an argument why it couldn't or shouldn't be done so I thought I'd toss it out to all of you for your input.
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

Fred Koehlmann

We moved up to a C425 last season, and it does have the stern railings extended up to the side gates located at the aft area of the dodger! Having previously been a C42 MkII owner, I'd say yes, it is totally doable. We do enjoy the additional hard rail on the C425, even though we now have to have two types of clothes pegs.

I would think twice about mounting your bbq on the side, since this would get in the way of rafting up with another boat. Also consider that people will also tend to put more pressure on the rails and stantions, so that leaks are more likely to occur at those stantion bases. Wire is less conducive to grabbing. If you do go with stainless rails, then consider increasing the base plate underneath the stantions and inside the boat, so that you have additional backerplate support.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Mas Tequila

Fred thank you for your input.

If we added a stanchion I would over drill the mounting holes and epoxy fill them, re-drill for the mounting bolts, bed them with butyl tape and add backing plates like Main Sail explains. I replaced our vent stanchions and re-bedded all of our stanchions last summer using this technique. I agree with you that people sure do like to grab the rails and stanchions. We do make sure that friends, family and new guests understand the rules before boarding our boat which includes not using stanchions as grab rails. We do try to make sure we present our "safety briefings" in a welcoming fashion but as a critical care paramedic I am a bit of a stickler when it comes to etiquette and safety.

The Admiral really likes the idea of having the grill mounted on the side instead of the pushpit, she says she isn't crazy having climb around the wheel carrying a tray of food. Her argument is with the grill mounted on the side she has the cockpit seats and cockpit table to place things on while she cooks. Considering she is a genius when it comes to grilling it's hard to argue with her, and there is the issue that ain't no one happy if the Admiral ain't happy. Our grill only takes a couple of minutes to mount and take off of the rail and is normally stored in the port lazarette unless I'm to lazy to put it away.

A friend had an idea that I could use bimini hardware to simply clamp 1 inch tubing from the pushpit to the gate stanchion. His thought is we could temporarily put the rails in place and see how we liked it.  Both of us agree that it certainly wouldn't be nearly as structurally sound but might be a way to prove a concept. I'd have to buy the tubing either way and if we found we really didn't like it I could always sell the tubing and fittings on ebay.

Anyway this post is just a for sake of argument. I have two full pages of things on my to do list that have to be finished before we leave for the north channel in mid June and this Northern Michigan winter weather isn't cutting me a break.
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

Ron Hill

Mas : I have always kept my grill at 45 degrees off the top pushpit rail.  That way it's out of the way for raftups and docking.
If I docked stern in - I'd loosen the handle and let the grill rotate down and out of the way!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788