replacing tall vetus cowl

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

one of my vetus fresh air cowls left the boat so i wanted to replace both, since the other one is probably original, from 1986, and looks weathered.  i've put in pictures, the opening is 6 inches, for the cowl and 4 inches for the base.  is there any reason not to go with a cheaper and shorter cowl, which is also 4 inches in opening?  it seems i could replace both at 100 each or replace them with shorter ones for 35 each.  I do not live on the boat nor go for more than day sails so i'm not too worried about fresh air exchange. 

thanks

becki kain
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

KWKloeber

Becki

What are the part nos for each option?

Kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

anaisdog

no idea on the one on my boat.  the one i was going to replace it with was a sea dog 901469.  thanks

anaisdog

i'm assuming what i have is    Vetus CHINOOK Silicone Cowl Vent .  I measured the opening, which is 4 inches. I was thinking i could replace with any of the other cowl vents which have the same opening, just shorter height.  any issues that idea?

anaisdog

thanks.  the dorados are fine, its just the top cowl part that was kicked off the boat so i wanted to get two new ones.  which ones, of the cowls, did you go with?

thanks

DaveBMusik

Quote from: anaisdog on January 23, 2018, 07:06:04 AM
thanks.  the dorados are fine, its just the top cowl part that was kicked off the boat so i wanted to get two new ones.  which ones, of the cowls, did you go with?

thanks

I replaced the mushroom vents only. The PO had replaced the cowls with tall Stainless Steel ones which love the mainsheet going down wind...

Page 270 lists specs for the cowls
https://doc.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/pdfs/Vetus_Catalog/Vetus_2015_Catalog.pdf
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

anaisdog

ah.  yeah, i want the low profile ones, so they are less likely to get knocked off

KWKloeber

Quote from: anaisdog on January 22, 2018, 05:01:52 PM
no idea on the one on my boat.  the one i was going to replace it with was a sea dog 901469.  thanks

becki,

oh ok, I thought you were referring to replacing w/ a Vetus part number.

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

anaisdog

nope, just curious if there was any reason a shorter, though just as wide opening, for this cowl, wouldn't work

KWKloeber

Quote from: anaisdog on January 22, 2018, 05:01:52 PM

becki,

ohhhh ok, I thought you were replacing with a Vetus part no.

Ken

scgunner

Becki,

I'm guessing you lost it with a sheet whip during a tack, that's when mine would get knocked off. I finally got tired of this and replaced them with "4 stainless steel solar vents, they're very low profile, they move air 24/7 not just when the wind blows the right way, and I think they look better too.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

anaisdog

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

anaisdog

thanks Stu, read the article you wrote.  i did replace the mushrooms right after i posted the 2014 article.  was just curious if i could get the cowl smaller, for the opening, but not the base.