Rudder Dimensions C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

Rudder Dimensions C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel

Eximius is on the Hard for a bottom paint, new Rub Rail, new Thru Hull, Rudder bearing repair, etc. etc.

We had to drop the rudder in order to install the Catalina Direct Rudder Bearing Epoxy Repair Kit.

I took pictures and measurements of the rudder (after repairing damage from a grounding several weeks ago)

Thought the dimensions would be valuable.

Paul

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Dave Spencer

Good information Paul, thanks. 
IIRC, the rudder dimensions are the same for wing and fin keel boats although newer C34s (Mk IIs?) have more surface area forward of the post to improve helm balance.  I would welcome corrections to my recollection if anyone has more specific information.

How much clearance did you need to drop your rudder?  Did you need the full shaft length, i.e. 36" clearance from the bottom of the rudder to the ground?

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

britinusa

I recorded a post on my blog about the rudder. (I'm in the process of writing the articles for the entire haul out process, but that will be completed later)

http://www.sailingeximius.com/2018/01/dropping-rudder.html

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Gary Brockman

Paul -

When I wanted to replace my rudder, I got a set of rudder plans from Catalina showed the following:

The original fin keel squared rudder: 51" deep
The original wing keel squared rudder: 46" deep
The elliptical fin keel: 58" deep
The elliptical wing keel: 46" deep

As you can see, the fin keel rudder is deeper than a wing keel rudder, for both the early squared off rudders and the later elliptical rudders.

Your rudder dimensions are much deeper rudder than any of the Catalina plans show.

Gary
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Ron Hill

Paul : Why don't you modify your rudder into the new elliptical shape??   I wrote article in the Mainsheet on doing the same to my wing keel rudder. 
I also posted the comparison overlay of the standard wing and fin keel rudders in the Mainsheet tech notes

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Gary Brockman

Sorry, I just looked at the picture again a saw that the rudder length dimension included the shaft.

Gary
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

britinusa

Quote from: Ron Hill on January 22, 2018, 02:55:39 PM
Paul : Why don't you modify your rudder into the new elliptical shape??   I wrote article in the Mainsheet on doing the same to my wing keel rudder. 
I also posted the comparison overlay of the standard wing and fin keel rudders in the Mainsheet tech notes

A thought

We have not experienced any issues with the rudder, the shape appears to be similar to that now available on the CD site.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Ron Hill

Paul : Where you notice he difference is when the "wind pipes up" and the boat uncontrollably head up in to the wind!!!!

Maybe it has never happened to you - or - just wait!!

A hought
Ron, Apache #788

britinusa

We have been in a Wind Up situation many times over the past two years, and Eximius does not round up significantly (although we have experienced that on other boats in our sailing club)

Last year, we were sailing under stack pack alone as a 52knot weather system hit us (we knew it was coming and we dropped our sails) We handled very well - in fact, the Admiral's confidence in both me and the boat grew substantially.

Paul.
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Ron Hill

Paul: That roundup may only be prevalent in the C34s with the old rudder that have a wing keel!?! 
Guess more of the fin keel rudder is the water when the boat heels?

A thought
Ron, Apache #788