HELP New Alternator needed for 2005 MKII with Universal M35 B

Previous topic - Next topic

ellispe

Team 34,

I know this question has come up before but technology and methods change so I wanted to be on the leading edge.  My Tach is not working and my battery is not charging so I am guessing my alternator needs replacement. I do a lot of weekends to Catalina so I would like one that will easially charge my two 4 D's and my starting bank.  My original alternator took forever.   I of course would like to do this on a budget and was wondering was the best way would be for me to purchase something that would not cost me an arm and a leg.  I am handy, so if I have to do some work it's all good.  I am also looking to replace the original Equip stock battery charger that I use when I am at the dock. My starting batter is an AMG and my house bank are lead acid 4d's so any recoemndations for that as well would be appreciated.

Peter Ellis
Ellis Island
2005 Catalina 34 MKII Hull 1772

Noah

My set-up on my MK I (you may have a different OEM alternator than my XP engine).
Lecee Neville 90 amp  8MR series alternator with an external regulator adaptor kit. approx. $275 from Spyder Marine online. Perfect replacement for OEM Motorola 55 amp. Reused existing pully.

Balmer 612 regulator with external temp sense kit
Xantrex Echo charger from house bank to starting/reserve battery

Promariner  ProNauticP 1240P Battery charger with remote battery monitor and external temp sense kit

SmartGauge SOC monitor

I eliminated the old A/B/Both switch and have a separate battery switch for both the house bank and starting/reserve bank.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Noah's system is very good.  I recommend you review the "Electrical 101" topic, which includes sources for alternators as well as wiring.  One of the things we found most important is to make your 1-2-B switch into a USE only one, rather than one that also directs the charging.  This means that the alternator output (AO) goes to the house bank.

They don't make the Balmar MC-612 anymore, replaced with the MC-614.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mick Laver

Peter,
I replaced mine with Motorola (Leece Neville) 12V 90A Marine Alternator 110-603, pulley Mot 107-1, adapter bushing MOT 118-2. Did not use an external regulator. Quite an improvement over the original 51A.
- Mick
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

mainesail

Quote from: ellispe
Team 34,
  My Tach is not working and my battery is not charging so I am guessing my alternator needs replacement.

Remove your alt and bring it to a local "mom & pop" auto electric shop and have it tested. Usually they can be easily and rather inexpensively repaired unless it is diodes, stator or rotor. If it's a typical 51A - 55A unit then you will certainly be a good opportunity to upgrade.

Quote from: ellispeI do a lot of weekends to Catalina so I would like one that will easially charge my two 4 D's and my starting bank.  My original alternator took forever.

The stock alt, its wiring and where it sense voltage all conspire to lead to slow charging. Be sure its output is not running though an engine panel mounted ammeter. These small alts, with a large depleted bank, can also over heat and fry themselves.

Quote from: ellispeI of course would like to do this on a budget and was wondering was the best way would be for me to purchase something that would not cost me an arm and a leg.

I sell an awful lot of the 8MR/Prestolite/Motorola case 90A and 105A alts. I mostly sell them already converted to external regulation but can also sell them as stock units upon request.. My alts are tweaked beyond the stock unit with improved diodes and high copper content brushes. I also offer 5/8" ID X 3/8" belt billet machined steel pulleys as well as the adapter kit and shims for 1" to 2" foot mounts.

https://shop.marinehowto.com/t/alternators--regulators

Quote from: ellispeI am also looking to replace the original Equip stock battery charger that I use when I am at the dock. My starting batter is an AMG and my house bank are lead acid 4d's so any recoemndations for that as well would be appreciated.

Peter Ellis
Ellis Island
2005 Catalina 34 MKII Hull 1772

Without knowing what brand AGM it is hard to say other than to say the Sterling ProCharge Ultra battery chargers are excellent, have a great warranty, and represent a very good value. See the article below for more info on choosing and installing a marine charger.

Installing a Marine Battery Charger: https://marinehowto.com/installing-a-marine-battery-charger/
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Noah

FYI-From Maine Sail's website regarding Sterling charger:  "It should be noted that this charger is also sold by ProMariner as the ProNauticP. These chargers were a joint venture between Sterling & ProMariner & both carry the same 5 year warranty in the US."
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

I may have posted this elsewhere, source for alternators:

http://www.ase-supply.com/Prestolite_Leece_Neville_Alternators_and_Starter_Motors_s/142.htm

Call them for selection details and also current prices.  They advised me to order by internet even though they would take phone orders but by phone costs more for the same thing.  Don't ask me why?!?  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

sailaway

I agree with mainsail you need to check the feed back wire for a corroded connection at one of the terminals.  Corroded connections are the number one source of electrical problems.  Charlie