Water Filter

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

I'm about to replace all of the Water Lines in the galley. Just replaced the Water faucet but the old hose & barb joints are failing, just touching them leads to another leak.

I have everything I need except a new water filter.

The current water filter might be original, the top is corroded and looks very fragile. So I need to replace that too.

I have two of these filters on board, one is for the Engine Raw Water strainer and the other for the Air Conditioner raw water supply. I deliberately got matching strainers to reduce the number of spares I need carry and with the concept of 'Right now the engine is more important than the AC, so swap out the strainers'

So, I'm thinking of getting a 3rd of the same type. They are $47.99 + Tax but even West Marine is out of stock.

Searching around I found one that matches the other two on board, and an alternative.

The Strainer is $47.99 Plus tax, the Undersink Water filter is $47.99 at the local hardware store.

Other than the Whirlpool filter requiring more space, any downside to using it v the Raritan strainer?

The 1st image is a Raritan Water Strainer

2nd is Whirlpool Undersink Water Filter

3rd is our current water strainer - I know, YUK!

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

KWKloeber

Paul

I don't get why we need a strainer on the freshwater. I have one that attaches to the pump inlet and it has never picked anything up in 20+ years.

I did put an activated carbon filter inline (big box, could be a whirlpool) and it's worked out well.  I used the whole house rather than under sink type because I didn't want to step down to 3/8" fittings.

If you want the Raritan I could check after the weekend to see if my dist has one in stock.

Cheers
K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I bought a whole house water filter at Home Depot and adapted it to connect to my hose from the dock. It worked out pretty well.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

John Langford

I installed a 6" activated charcoal filter in the cold water line feeding the the galley faucet. There is no point getting a larger one since you should replace the filter every year and you can't possibly exceed its capacity in gallons processed in one year even if you do a lot of boating.. Manufacturers like Penta and GAC sell small filters and you can get quick connect fittings to make the replacement easy.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Ron Hill

Paul : Your raw water and fresh water strainers that Catalina Factory installed are HYPRO Crop. strainers'  New Brighton MN [612 633-9300]. 
You strainers have course SS mesh "filters" inside the screw-on bowl.  I also found they have a fine mesh screen which I ordered and installed in the fresh water line.  If you don't filter the water when you fill your tank (well vrs city water) - you need a filter/strainer to protect the pump.

Wrote a more extensive article in the Mainsheet Tech notes on this very topic.  Give them a call and find a local dealer.  I purchased extra strainers and gaskets

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

britinusa

I ended up installing a $37 Whirlpool undersink carbon filter in line from the new tank selector ball valves.

New setup is sweet. Although we are perhaps overboard on filters.

New system:

• Whirlpool Carbon under sink filer inline after tank selector ball valves
  • Pump
  • Mainifold

• Hot Water Tank Supply
    • Filtered Drinking Water supply
    • Cold Water Galley Faucet
    • Cold Water to Bathroom Supply

Really pleased with the new plumbing arrangement.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Noah

Paul- can you please post some pics of your new set-up?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Guys : If you are interested you can go to Lowe's and get a filter that fits on the faucet.  It's charcoal and has a lever for filter or unfiltered water.

A thouht
Ron, Apache #788

Jon W

There is a Brita filter that attaches to the faucet from Home Depot as well.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

scgunner

I don't see the point of a filter for the fresh water tank, with the advent of bottled water does anybody drink from the tap anymore? I make coffee and water the dog with water from the ice chest. The only thing we really use the tank water for is washing dishes and taking showers.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

britinusa

Just to clarify: The original intent was to re-plumb the fresh water hoses beneath the galley sink, old, grotty, corroded, and a strainer that was way past it's best by date.

The cost of a new 'strainer' was about the same as a filter unit with valve (not that I could ever see using the valve) and I questioned if anyone knew of a downside to using the filter.

My greatest concern was that the filter might prevent the fresh water pump from priming. It primes within a few seconds even though the selected tank was less than 1/2 full.

I should be able to get some pics today, the boat is on the hard for a bottom paint and a few WIIT projects.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

DaveBMusik

House filters are typically plumbed after the pump.
I think I would do the same and not have to worry about the filter intake being higher than the water level.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

britinusa

As described, the new filter that is inline from the Tank Selector valves to the Fresh Water pump primes really quickly and the flow rate is actually enhanced, but that may be due to the new plumbing and T's

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

britinusa

The installation
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

britinusa

The manifold