Cockpit Enclosure

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugh17

I've searched through old messages and found a few threads on cockpit enclosures, but few pictures. I'm considering a full enclosure in the near future since I've recently purchased a Sailrite sewing machine. I already have a Bimini and Dodger with a connecting panel, so essentially I'll have to make side panels.

My boat is the MKI and I'm interested in seeing pictures of anyone's cockpit enclosures as well as comments and advice on do/don't.

Thanks,
James
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25

Ken Juul

There are some pictures of my enclosure at: http://dycboat.com/boat/1990-catalina-34/  Make the side entrances as large as possible, we found ours too small when carrying things in and out.  We also chose to use a 90% shade producing plastic screen for the back panels.  Can see through it, blocks most of the wind, but most importantly won't get scuffed on the davit mounts, outboard and other attachments to the stern rail. 
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Hugh17

Ken,
Thanks for the advice and link to the pictures. I couldn't download them. Could you email them to me or provide an online album where I can download them? I want to collect as much information as possible before starting the project.
Thanks, James
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Universal M25

Ken Juul

Sorry the broker owns most of the pictures.  You can ask her: cwilliams at dycboat.com  Her name is Cori.

Another thought.  It takes some experience or a lot of forethought to get the connecting zippers aligned properly so that individual panels can be removed while keeping the others up.  Our rear panels stop at the top stern rail.  Even with some openings around the stern perch seats and the stern railing a propane "Little Buddy" heater kept the enclosure quite warm in 30 degree weather.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Hugh17

Thanks for the reply. I was able to download and save the pictures of the enclosure. I've also  found some other pictures on the internet. This will be a big project for me, but hopefully by following Sailrite instructional videos and taking it one panel at the time I can come up with something respectable.
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Universal M25

karista

Here is a Picture of a total enclosure I had made prior to our trip down the ICW. (Hopefully the picture shows up)
The Bimini has a connector to the dodger. There are side panels and 3 transom panels, all roll up but are also removable. All side panels are glass and then there are 2 side panels also with screening.
With all panels and connector installed the boat is totally enclosed, if you want some breeze, simply remove the glass side panels and install the screened side panels.
The entire enclosure is very easy to use as the panels are rolled up and only need to be dropped down and fastened.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Fred Koehlmann

Hi James,

Ours was a MKII, but perhaps the photos of the new encloser we had made, may be of some use by providing some ideas on how you would like yours to be laid out. Hopefully this link will work for you: https://photos.app.goo.gl/XXhHWqs6cmdsqb8o2

Some things we were looking for were:

• Better visibility through the dodger. We went as high as we could for as far as we could. The forward panel is parallel to the mainsheet lines and does not sag 9as the original did). The central panel is removable from the top down, so we can control the airflow through the cockpit
  • We wanted the framework to be minimal and fold away when not in use. The base was raised to the stern rail, freeing up deck clutter. The forward crossbar is telescoping and reduces to fold back level with the other two bars when stored back and up against the backstays. The horizontal stabilizing bar scissors down when folded up. A narrow sock then covers the bimini canvas when stored back (sorry no pics of that) (maybe I can find one)
  • Hand rails. We had three handrails added the one across the aft edge of the dodger, the two outside ones (one on each side of the dodger). We consider these "MUST haves", just for safety.
  • We also requested sun protector panels for the dodger windows, even though we are up north. I figured the dodger is out I the sun all week, even though we mostly sailed on the weekends. This was to ensure that the money we put into the dodger would last longer.
  • In the north mosquitos can make or break a wonderful evening. Four of the "venting" panels are screened and we can roll down the plastic panel to allow for airflow, without allowing the little critters easy access.
  • When not using the panels we can roll them up at the edges of the bimini. This saves with storage worries. We still had to store the two panels for the dodger/bimini connector section though.

We really enjoyed the enclosure and how it extended our time on the water. One thing that we would do differently,... is not to use snap fasteners for the sun protector panels. It causes too much "pushing" into the dodger to get them on, and we ended up with two fasteners breaking off when trying to remove the protector panels. Unfortunately, the canvas shop that did the work is no longer in business, but perhaps what you see is of some help.

Cheers, Fred.

Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Hugh17

Fred,

Thanks much for your thoughtful and detailed reply. I've read it several times and compared to the pictures to try and understand as much as possible about your enclosure. Sounds like you have a nice set up. Even though your boat is the MKII there are some similarities with the MKI.

Fortunately, I already have a very good dodger and Bimini, thus the major frame components are already in place. That's not to say that I may not change or add a piece if it's beneficial for the final enclosure. I'm going to save some of your pictures for reference and hope to update this thread later this year with pictures of my enclosure. For now, I'm attaching a picture of CaiLeigh Anna with the dodger and Bimini.

Thanks again!!
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Universal M25

Dave Spencer

James,
I finally found some pictures of our full enclosure.  These were taken the day I picked up the boat and moved it to my marina about 30nm up the Georgian Bay coast from its previous home.  The enclosure is now starting to show its age but it serves us well on the rare occasions when we zip in the side and rear panels.  We rarely install the three piece rear panel since if its raining at anchor, we are into the wind so no rain comes in from the stern.  And, I can cook our dinner in the rain using the BBQ mounted to the stern rail without the enclosure getting in the way.  Although several of the panels can be rolled up and stowed on the bimini, we rarely do this.  I almost always remove them completely and stow them under the V-berth.  Others I know keep their full enclosure zipped in all the time regardless of the weather.  YBYC. 
Good luck with your project and please post pics when you have yours completed.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

rmbrown

If this shows twice, I apologize... I just posted and it disappeared.

Here 'tis again...

I just got mine about 6 weeks ago.  I went to the boat yesterday, a sunny, but 20 degree day and found it to be about 28 degrees below but 65 in the enclosure.  I love it!

Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Hugh17

Mike,
Thanks for the pictures. I will file these for future reference. Your enclosure looks very nice with the boat. I hope I can accomplish something that looks as good.
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Universal M25

Jon W

Mike I don't see any pictures?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

rmbrown

I had the classic pic too big error... I thought that one got resolved with an upgrade to the site, but I'll reduce and try again.
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

rmbrown

Here you go...
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC