Marine VHF Radio: Repair or Replace?

Previous topic - Next topic

Pgutierrez

Marine VHF Radio: Repair or Replace?

Our Standard Horizon HX460S radio has become screechy and friend thinks squelch control can be repaired or replaced.  It may be old but has excellent battery life.  Just at times screechy.  Have you repaired a radio? Thinking of asking Standard Horizon for a repair quote - anyone done this? Given new units are advertised at starting prices of $100, what unit did you buy and why?  What to look for in a replacement combo VHF marine / weather radio?
Thanks.

sselinger

I doubt anyone will repair it for much less then the cost of a new one. Just to bring it in and have it diagnosed would probably be over $50 then the cost of the part, and the repair work would take you close to $100. Think it is time to look at a new one.
Steve Selinger
Aquila #1047

Ron Hill

Pquet : It's been my experience that when you take a radio/TV/electronic to a repair shop the they want $75/$100 up front just to look at it and then tell you what the repair cost will be!!

Your choice!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Pgutierrez

I'm impressed. Visited the Standard Horizon website, and received this response:
Hello Peter:

Thank you for contacting us regarding your question. If the radio as a whole is still working including the battery then it may be worth sending in.

If the unit is out of warranty include a note with your name, address, phone number, email address and a description of the issue the radio is having. There is a flat rate of $65 plus shipping if its repairable. If the unit is water damaged internally then our loyalty program will offer you a $25 voucher for use with the purchase of a new Standard Horizon radio.

If there is nothing wrong with the unit there is a $35 bench/estimate fee. If after the estimate you do not want the unit repaired, the cost to you is the $35 estimate fee and shipping. If you do not require a signature (appx $7) on the return shipping of your item, please fill out and physically send back the attached form. The form is needed before we can ship your item back to you.

Send the radio to the following address:
Standard Horizon
Attn: Marine Repairs
6125 Phyllis Drive
Cypress, Ca   90630

Best regards,
Juan Hernandez
Technical Support
j.hernandez@yaesu.com

Ph (714)827-7600
Fx (714)527-9472

www.standardhorizon.com

Due to the age of the radio, I will be replacing it.  West Marine has an excellent You Tube series on hand held radios. 

KWKloeber

Not seeing exactly what it's doing, I kinda question whether it's the squelch that's the issue.  Nevertheless, if you can -- it would do no harm and possibly a world of good to spray the SQL and VOL controls with electronics cleaner.  It could just be that the wiper or coil in the potentiometer is dirty or oxidized, esp if you are in salt air.  Remove the knobs and try to spray cleaner in thru the shafts, it could be cheap insurance to fix a problem before sending it in.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Pgutierrez

Thanks for the suggestion, K.   What specific electronic spray cleaner is that?  Buy this from a specialty Supply house?

patrice

Hi,
In the same option as ken said.  If there is oxydation on the potentiometer contact, sometime with radio off.  Turn the knob from one end to the other many times.
This might help removing some oxyde.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

KWKloeber

Any "electronic" or "contact cleaner."

Hazard Fright carries CRC brand, or a well-stocked HW store like ACE or True Value should also have it.  Or Amazon.  Or your big box.  I used to get it at the local Radio Shack, but I apparently failed to buy enough of it to keep them in business.  :-)

https://www.harborfreight.com/11-oz-crc-electronic-cleaner-62228.html
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=electronic+contact+cleaner

There's probably an o-ring behind the face, so keep trying to force it down while working the shaft.  Or if you have a very very fine hypo needle you may be able to get it in there.  I have a bunch of those gifted from a fellow forum-er (TY you bk), really too fine for epoxy work, but nice for getting lube into very tight places. After you get the cleaner in there, work the wiper back and forth rapidly to clean the contact.

no guarantees, but worth a try.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Pquet : The new marine VHF radios have so many safety features (GPS position reporting, ship identification, etc) that it should make more sense to just buy a new radio if yours doesn't have these features!!

The "tuner" cleaner that Ken is talking about you can get at Radio Shack - Control/Contact Cleaner & Lubricant.  I've kept a can on board and use it frequently on electrical contacts!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

sailaway

If your transmission is  screechy you have a problem of interference from your boat. Most likey a refrigeration unit. Some of the new refrig units have variable speed motors that are a problem. Charlie