Anchor Chain and Rode - Check It Before You Take It

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon W

I may be the only surprised by this, but wanted to pass along to the group as an FYI just in case there is another beginner like me.

As the last step of adding an electric windlass to my 1987 MK 1, I ordered 200 feet of ACCO 5/16" G4 HT galvanized chain, and 200 feet of 5/8" Yale 8 brait spliced together from West Marine/Port Supply.

When I got the new chain and rode home I noticed it was stamped G3, not G4. They had sold me Proof Coil, not G4 HT. I brought it back. They apologized and expedited the correct 200 feet of G4.

About 1 week later, I picked up the corrected order. I verified in the store it had the G4 mark. I decided to lay it all out in the parking lot and verify it was 200 feet chain, and 200 feet 8 brait. It was 180 feet of chain and 210 feet of 8 brait. Wrong again.

I decided to keep the 180 feet of chain and 210 feet of 8 brait. Long story short – Check that what you're buying is what you ordered no matter how reputable the supplier.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

At least they didn't tell you "to give it some time and the chain would stretch."  :D
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

mark_53

Hope they gave you credit for the 17' of chain they shorted you.
Merry Christmas!

Jon W

Got credit for the 20 feet of chain, and did not get charged for the extra 10 feet of 8 brait.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

bayates

And make sure you know if you need standard link or short link. I thought 8mm was 8mm and now have 150 feet of chain that I cannot use on the new windlass. Ordering new chain and will have Rode spliced on it again. Live and learn.
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA