Floor Replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

sselinger

The floor in my C34 (1990) is starting to delaminate, so I am looking to replace it. (the teak and holly plywood) I know I can buy some new plywood and use that, but I am wondering if any of the synthetic materials might be a better choice. Has anyone used this material and if so what are your thoughts/experiences.
Steve Selinger
Aquila #1047

KWKloeber

Steve

The owners of the J/120 that I occasionally crew on replaced the rotted sole with teak/holly laminate. I don't know what brand, but could find out from the yard.  It is very nice and functional -- better appearance than I expected from a synthetic.  It's a matte finish, so if you like the high gloss it may not be for you.  The base cost was higher, but the yard's estimate netted out the same, due to the time/materials it would have needed to seal the undersides/edges and finish it, if they chose teak/holly plywood.  It;s basically indestructible.  (A pint of) epoxy resin/hardener was dumped onto it (ask another day) and it wiped up with acetone without a trace.  Whew! 

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

sselinger

I would be interested in the brand, if it's not a big inconvenience to ask. I have been trying to talk to Plasteak about their product, but having some difficulty with the local supplier.
Steve Selinger
Aquila #1047

Ben H.

Defender sells a bunch of options. I've looked at them when at their warehouse in CT.

https://search.defender.com/?expression=flooring%20laminate&s=1&Trigger=ac
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886
Std. Rig, Wing Keel, M25XP Engine
Boat - Westport, Connecticut

britinusa

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Doug4bass

New Catalinas use Lonseal......I absolutely love it. Indestructible and very hard to tell from real teak and holly.

KWKloeber

Quote from: sselinger on December 02, 2017, 06:11:39 AM
I would be interested in the brand, if it's not a big inconvenience to ask. I have been trying to talk to Plasteak about their product, but having some difficulty with the local supplier.

No problem, I will track it down.

Where are you located?

KK
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ron Hill

Steve : The key to replacing any Teak & Holly sole is that it needs to be 3/8" thickness.  Most of the real T&H is metric.

Saw some nice looking T&H composite on the internet. Have no idea how it hold up?

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ted Pounds

I used PlasDeck on the deck of my Gloucester 19. It's held up great, and that's outside in the weather. It's not 3/8" thick, but you could glue it to 1/4" plywood panels. If you sealed the plywood the panels should last forever.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Gregory M

Quote from: Ron Hill on December 03, 2017, 01:48:05 PM
Steve : The key to replacing any Teak & Holly sole is that it needs to be 3/8" thickness.  Most of the real T&H is metric.

A thought
Ron

Very valid point! 3/8 is the key(metric not so much an issue),I've been searching for material for some time now and as far as I can tell, there's no 3/8 T&H ! My supplier tells me that, available thicknesses are 1/4 and 1/2.  So, build up or shave?   :?
Gregory, "Luna Rossa", #1063, 1990, T.Rig Mk 1.5, fin keel. Universal M 35,  Rocna 15,
Penetanguishene ON.

Paulus

Steve, you might given Torresen Marine a call at 1 231 759 8596 .  I replaced the T&H in the galley area this fall.  A project on my list for several years.  This year they happen to have the exact match to my existing T&H floor.  Did not ask who their suppliers was but it did cost me $10 a sq. ft.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ron Hill

Guys :Instead of replacing my T/H flooring at the galley, I got some "Loincoin" flooring like Catalina installed in the MKIIs in the galley.  I cut it to size and installed it OVER the T/H.

It has some nice "anti skid" properties and looks great!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Roland Gendreau

Ron, could you post or point me to any pictures of your loincoin floor?
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Stu Jackson

Roland,

That flooring is shown in the Mark II brochures, here:  http://www.c34.org/images/c34_98_brochure_2.jpg

You should be able to blow up the page 2 photo to see it in more detail.  Was standard on the Mark II galley soles.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Quote from: sselinger on December 02, 2017, 06:11:39 AM

Steve, below.

Apologies for this taking long -- prying the answer out was beyond my control....

Ken

The source for the Cabin Sole installed in Storm Warning is World Panel (https://www.worldpanel.com/marinelam-flooring), Riviera Beach Florida (561) 840-0500.

This distributor has several products to choose from. The product that I installed in Storm Warning is: Teak & Black Marinelam laminated to Maranti/Hydrocore Marine Plywood 12 mm.
https://www.worldpanel.com/marinelam-flooring

World Panel Products: Marine Plywood & Teak
Genuine Teak Lumber & Marine Plywoods available anywhere in the World.
www.worldpanel.com