dorade vent holes cracked

Previous topic - Next topic

mdidomenico

the vent hose in the cabin liner that go to the dorade boxes seems to have developed cracks.  i imagine the fix for this is no different then any other fiberglass fix.  but i'm curious how/why they cracked to begin with.  i don't recall seeing anything similar reported in any threads or articles.  So i'm curious if there's a loading issue or something else i should fix to keep this from happening again.

1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Stu Jackson

I have cracks like that in my port side cowl.  I replaced the OEM cowls some years ago.  The trim ring hides the cracks.  I've rebedded both the port cowl above AND the traveler track with Bed-It-with-Butyl.  I have not done anything about the crack.  I, too, wonder where it came from, but as long as it is "up" and doesn't leak, it is not something I would think anyone would post about.  I certainly don't ever remember seeing it.  Or:  "Join the club!"  :D

Do you have the long bolts for the traveler support installed?  Not knowing the year of your boat, can't assume you do.  My PO never did, so I had to.  They could be from the traveler support fiberglass being pulled up.

I don't think it's structural.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mdidomenico

mine does leak or did at one point, i have tell tale streak along the cabin liner.  though i haven't removed the outside part of the dorade.  i'm sure the caulking is probably missing, another thing i'll have to rebed.

no, the PO did not do the traveler bolt upgrade, it's on my list.  now that's it too cold for epoxy work here in NJ, i have to refocus my work list, so this gets bumped a bit higher.  current work detail is removing of the blackwater systems, which is unpleasant...
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Stu Jackson

http://c34.org/mainsheet/pdf/Aug_2005.pdf

August 2005 Dorade Replacement, shows "what's underneath" up above.  :D

A long drill bit on a cordless drill makes easy work of it.

Once the cover/base is off, you should consider lubing the ss circular cap and threads below.  Easier to do from the top.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

britinusa

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

mregan

I have the same cracks on mine.  I was getting some water through the cracks.  Rebedded the dorades but didn't help.  Figured out the fiberglass had cracked under the traveller.  Replaced the traveller (it barely worked anyway) repaired the fiberglass and thru bolted the traveller.  Leaks disappeared.

Stu Jackson

Just what happened to me, last sentence in the tech note article!  :thumb: