Paneling strips at galley and above Nav station

Previous topic - Next topic

Set2sea

What do you call the paneling strips at galley and above Nav station? I thought that they were called battens but I am not picking up on that in search.
I need to order some. Where can I get them?
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

KWKloeber

I think I know what you're talking about, but can you post a pic?
If it's what I'm thinking, H&L used to supply it.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Paul,

They're called ash battens.  'Cuz they're made of ash wood.

Haven't been too many discussions or even tech notes about replacing them, but there have been a few.  I recall Al Watson replaced his galley countertop, don't know if he did the battens.  You can find that in the old "Projects" section archived in the tech wiki.

Since it's not "marine wood," you should be able to get it at Home Depot.

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Ok, then if it's the same "battens" that they used on the 30s, it's ash batten plywood.  1/8" ash bonded to 1/8" ply.
See bottom right of attached.

H&L supplied it to CTY, but has been out of biz for several years. 
Cesar, H&L's lead carpenter opened his own biz -- give him a call and he may supply it.

Cesar Pacheco
(310) 538-5528

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

I should also add that if you want to replace w/ teak, I have gotten teak battens from West Marine.  Not sure how many widths they have -- what I got was about 1-1/2" or 2", just enough to cover a seam in a headliner panel.  It was **about** 1/4" thick.

ken

Ron Hill

Paul : The material that you are referring to are "ash battening strips".  Forgot the width (about 2 inches) and the thickness is 1/4 inch.  I got them from the same place in Calif. that supplied the teak for the Catalina factory.

I wrote a Mainsheet tech note article (with pictures) in 1999? when I glued (contact cement) those battening strips on to the black plastic sliders.  I'm sure I gave the companies name and tel. # in that article.  The lighter ash strips made the cabin look larger and brighter!!

I know of people that have ordered those strips to replace the battening because of the leaking vented stanchions.  Look up that article

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Jon W

I found it in August 1997, unless there are two articles. It references H&L Marine.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca