New England Sta-Set Lines Slipping In Winch Crowns

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Sutherland

I recently replaced 3 lines (Outhaul, Furling and Topping Lift) with New England Sta-Set, and they are all slipping in my winch crowns.  They seem to have a very slick feel to them.  Is there a way to "rough up" these lines without damaging them? 
Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170

Ron Hill

Mark : Sta-Set lines are low stretch.  Why are you using the outhaul??, furler and topping lift?? lines in a winch???

I had a small #16 Lemar Oceans (spring loaded self tailor keeper) winch I used for the furler line, but most of the time I secured the furling line in a cleat.  The winch was only used in very high winds!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Mark Sutherland

Anyone have any thoughts on how to get rid of the "slickness" on these new lines?  Thanks.

DaveBMusik

I don't have the winch spec's in front of me and you didn't say what diameter you are using.
Are you sure the winch is designed for those smaller lines?
I switched out my halyards to Samson XLS which is on the slippery side.  I might have to put an extra wrap on but the winches hold fine.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Jim Hardesty

QuoteAnyone have any thoughts on how to get rid of the "slickness" on these new lines?

Have you tried washing them.  I think a soaking in a bucket with dish washing liquid then a lot of rinsing may help. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Mark Sutherland

Hi Dave. The new lines are the exact same size as the previous lines.

Stu Jackson

Mark, Jim's right, just wash 'em.  I stuck mine in pillowcase and threw them in the washing machine.  Don't do too many at once, it unbalances the washer!!! :D :D :D

I only WISH I had new lines to play with.   :clap :cry4` :clap
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Mark : If you are going to wash them go to a landra - mat.  They have heavy duty machines - I've done 200ft of anchor line!!
Ron, Apache #788

mark_53

Quote from: Mark Sutherland on November 12, 2017, 12:54:06 PM
I recently replaced 3 lines (Outhaul, Furling and Topping Lift) with New England Sta-Set, and they are all slipping in my winch crowns.  They seem to have a very slick feel to them.  Is there a way to "rough up" these lines without damaging them?
I had similar issue with the main halyard and the winch next to the companionway hatch.  Not sure what size, maybe lewmar 24.  I just did an extra wrap around the drum.  4 wraps instead of 3.

DaveBMusik

Quote from: Mark Sutherland on November 14, 2017, 11:54:04 AM
Hi Dave. The new lines are the exact same size as the previous lines.

Is this a smaller self tailing cabin top winch or your main winches?
The owners manual calls for 5/16" topping lift and 7/16" jib sheet. Not sure about outhaul. Many have moved up a size on the sheets to help them grab better as well so the smaller control lines may be small for the winch.

Without knowing the winch size and line sizes, it's hard to know.  Lewmar 46's are supposedly good down to 5/16 but I'm sure there has been a bit of wear...
Certainly slick lines will exacerbate things.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT