Catalina Mk I 1/4 "Sugar Scoop"

Previous topic - Next topic

scgunner

Up until a few days ago, not only had I never seen a "Sugar Scoop" model(and only in pictures), I had never even heard of it. Living in Long Beach, CA which is about 30mi from Woodland Hills, where Catalina built them until California chased them out of the state, I've seen a lot of 34s but never seen one of these. They must not have built very many of them before they went to the "walk through" model.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Noah

My 1990 is a sugar scoop.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

scgunner

Noah,

Do you know if the C34 the only model Catalina sugar scooped ?
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Noah

Sorry, nope. My dog and I had hoped for a walk-through transom, (it was listed as having one, LOL!) but needless to say, it didn't. We still love our boat!
Standard Rig

patrice

Quote from: scgunner on October 30, 2017, 11:29:38 AM
    Noah,

Do you know if the C34 the only model Catalina sugar scooped ?

I believe they made some 42 also.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

scgunner

Noah,

If you wanted to convert your boat to a walk-thru I think it would be doable since with your sugar scoop your already halfway there. I was considering converting my Mk I to a walk-thru after Catalina added it to the new boats but decided it would require quite a lot of modification(I'd have to cut in a sugar scoop first). What I did instead was to add a swim/boarding platform to the transom along with a shower nozzle. What I wanted more than the walk-thru was a large swim platform and it seemed even on the stock walk-thru boats the platform is rather small.

scgunner

Patrice,

The C42 was introduced later and I believe it was a walk-thru from the jump. I know the last C-30s had a walk-thru but couldn't be scooped because the transom was straight up and down.

Noah

Yikes! Cut out the tansom?! Way overboard project for me to consider. She is what she is and I'd rather go sailing at this time in my life! 8)
Standard Rig

scgunner

Noah ,

I'm curious, what did the seller say when you showed up to look at his walk-thru boat and it wasn't? For me that would have been a deal breaker.

Noah

A few weeks prior to buying this boat I had a newer (more expensive) Beneteau in contract but it fell through after seller reneged on my accepted offer. It was a charter boat and he was a lawyer, and "decided for tax purpose, he didn't want to sell that year." Dissapointed, (and pissed) but not worth sueing over. As they used to say in politics about newspapers, "never pick a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel." Same with suing lawyers.

I hadn't considered the C34 but read up on it a lot, shopped a few, and this one stood out.  Finding it had a sugar scoop transom was somewhat dissapppointing. But, to finally answer your question, I  "educated the broker", on the difference between a walk-through and step-over transom! LOL!  But I loved the boat. It was well kept, low hours, price was right and it passed survey. After having my boat for three years, and doing many mods, upgrades, NO REGRETS! :thumb: 8)
Standard Rig

scgunner

Well it's a beauty(like all C34s)and the sugar scoop does provide a bit of uniqueness owing to the rarity of the model.

Hey Noah, what's a cryin' shame?

A bus load of lawyers going over a cliff with two empty seats.

Ron Hill

Kevin : FYI, The 1990 C34 came standard with the "sugar scoop" transom.  You had to pay extra for the 1990 "walk thru" transom.
Then in 1991 the C34 standard was the "walk thru" transom!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: scgunner on October 30, 2017, 11:29:38 AM

Do you know if the C34 the only model Catalina sugar scooped?

Added to a 25

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Guys : I believe that all of Kens' pictures of the "Sugar Scoop" transoms are all 1990 year productions.
I accused Jerry Douglas of copying the new transom of the 1989 O'Day 35!! 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788