Honda 2000W Gen Set

Previous topic - Next topic

lazybone

And big pot of coffee and Air Conditioning.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Noah

I understand using it for A/C, but not usually needed here in SoCal, that's why I wondered what Brian used his for. I charge my batteries with the main engine and very occasionally use my inverter if I need A/C power underway. My tools are all lithium battery models. Looking into solar and wind for extended cruising but not sure I want another gas powered machine to lug around besides my outboard? Maybe?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

scgunner

Noah,

That's why I'm still in the considering phase, at this point for me it would be more of an emergency back up unit.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Jim Hardesty

QuoteThat's why I'm still in the considering phase

Me too.  I can do with out hair dryer, curling irons and definitely TV.  Maybe if it will run the AC for a couple of hours in the evening, but I'd be surprised if it could.  I may buy one to see how much it gets used.  Just need to be persuaded.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

britinusa

We use our Honda 2000i for our AC, works a charm.
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Ron Hill

Guys : When you set in the same anchorage for a 2nd or 3rd day - that's when the Honda is nice.

If you are always on the move and running the engine then you don't need it. 
However, if you hit those days when the wind is just right and you only use the engine to pull out and/or set the anchor it's nice to turn on the Honda and keep the batteries from going under 50% charge!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

scgunner

Ron,

Can't you just run the motor at anchor to keep the batteries charged?
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

patrice

HI,

I understand that everyone needs are different.
But on the boat, I try to not use equipment requiring electricity.  Help to relax.

Have solar panel that keep batteries full, and frigo running all summer.

One thing to consider, is that noise travel easy and clear on the water.  Your neighbors at ancor might not enjoy your gen.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Fred Koehlmann

I second Patrice's comment. The first year we had our boat we had to run the engine to top off the batteries when we anchored. Typically once in the morning and again at dinner time, for about an hour or so. We found it noisy and didn't like disturbing the neighbours (if any were anchored in the vicinity). So when we looked around for a solution, I did look at one of the Honda 2000s and did like the fact that I could easily get shore power. However now things were going to be even noisier and I was also going to have to carry another fuel onboard (we row our dinghy). So, I looked at solar as a solution, but at the time mounting it was going to be an effort and delay our sailing time. We opted for a fuel cell trickle charger called eFOY (the Comfort 210). I mounted it forward in the port cockpit locker (C34 MKII), exhausted the CO2 exhaust into the cockpit and captured the distilled water into a bottle for topping up the batteries. It did what a solar panel would do but on cloudy days and during the night. It would only come on when it sensed the house batteries were low. It was not a generator and could not give loads of juice all at once, as some may be looking for, but it would silently maintain the battery.

On our new boat, we did install an arch which will do double duty as davits and mounting point for four solar panels. After all the sun is free and silent.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

scgunner

Considerate neighbors are a good thing.

scgunner

Fred,

The sun is free but not the equipment required to harness it

Ken Juul

My 2 cents.  As a Navy pilot I was around jet engines for 20+ years.  So my hearing isn't the best.  But I have been in plenty of anchorages either running my 2000i or neighbors running theirs.  In most anchorages, stereos make more noise.  Running the engine is more efficient, 55 amps or more if upgraded.  Most battery chargers are 20 or 30amps.  But the engine heats up the cabin, in the humid east coast don't want to do that.  2 fridges, lights, music, TV, inverter, etc.  We were energy hogs.  Need to keep the batteries charged.  In the last 15 years have  never had a complaint about running the Honda.  Depends on the installation, but wiring the sea water pump on so it can be turned on first, turning the fan on, then turning on the AC compressor.  The 2000i ran a 16K btu unit.  Carry gas for the outboard, more for the Honda, not a big thing.  I stored mine under the cockpit table, just the two of us, still plenty of sitting room.  Hate fumes, the cockpit locker and lazerette all have openings into the cabin.  Solar and wind are probably a better option, but the added weight to the stern and the cost made the Honda the best choice for us.  YBYC
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

scgunner

In Avalon harbor the harbor dept. use to have a rule that you couldn't run your generator before 7am and not after 10pm. Nowadays generators have gotten so quiet they don't even bother to enforce the rule I'm not even sure the rule is still in place. I usually run my motor mid morning, when most people are up and out and about, to charge my batteries.

Paulus

Why not go with a solar panel?  The flexible panel weights about 3 lbs.   My panels is on top of the bimini.  There are pics on the this sight. This is the beginning of my 5th year and I leave the panels on all winter.  We have sat at anchor for 6 days without starting the motor.  The cost will be about the same as a Honda generator.  I did carry my Honda the first year but did not use it.  Sold it after the first year. 
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

scgunner

Solar panels are another good option. What I like best about solar panels is no moving parts.