Tech WIKI

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon W

Ken lighten up. I repeated those two questions in response to your reply presuming I have created the things I'm asking for definition of. Maybe not the most effective way. I'm not interested in being a Tech Wiki expert. I'm trying to understand enough to add the content I've spent quite a bit of effort to create in a manner that makes it easier to find.

To me master list implies some formal vehicle that would contain the Tech Wiki category list with each individual boat/authors projects cross referenced to it. When I access one of the boat names there is a list of projects with no correlation to the top level Tech Wiki categories. In fact when I login and go into edit mode and look at the data in Apache for example, there are simply links to the write up by Ron. Not a master list to me.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Jon

It worked 'eh?  You do understand now?   :clap : Whatever it takes to get the message thru.  A feather, fly swatter, a sledge if necessary.   :twisted:

Look, I didn't invent the term master index.  Probably should take that up w/ whomever created the Home Page if s/he didn't use the proper term! :donno:

I don't think that's the issue, though.  :think Methinks you blew right thru the 1st reply because the answers were right there that you cannot do what you asked 3 times how to do. Whatever.  Is it clear now that neither you nor I nor any mere mortal can add a link to that list?  :?: Until the page(s) are revised (which is already underway)

As to the master list, this seems straightforward; no how, no way does this suggest creating a list of projects cross-referenced by author/boat and referenced top-level of wiki topics. ...add a "master index" page to all your projects.  ..... would prefer at least 4 or 5 on your list.    HUH?? All it asks is "put up a page listing your projects."  Your list will have 4 projects and their page links, that's all, no mystery.  Easy peazy.  Hey, if it makes more sense to you, add a heading or description what Wiki topic each falls under.  It's YOUR wiki.  No rules, rule.

Actually that's a great idea having such a cross-referenced list like that.  :idea: :idea: Suggest it to Stu, he may get right on creating one:rolling

If you email me different/better wording for those instructions I'll incorporate it into the revised "Project" page(s).

Cheers
k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jon W

I understood at reply #9. You kept asking questions and I was trying to answer. I also asked if Dave is Dave Sanner. Is he the Tech Wiki contact?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jon W on October 23, 2017, 08:39:36 PM
I understood at reply #9. You kept asking questions and I was trying to answer. I also asked if Dave is Dave Sanner. Is he the Tech Wiki contact?

Jon

I don't like beating this to death and this my last on it -- you have to read all of each reply!

See post #11 - I answered your Q who was "Dave" "I have an email to Dave (Sanner) on that and other Wiki stuff."

If in #9 you understood that -- you can't link now / we have to revise the pages / I emailed DS to get it into the process / then you will be able to post a link  -- then why ask again who to contact to add a link?  I can't follow that thought process.

Signing off that issue.

My understanding is that David takes care of all the website.  The wiki is pretty much self administered from what I see.  As far as the coding (Wiki Markup) and creating content and how to format etc, I don't know it all, but probably more than many.  I don't know Dave's history with that aspect.  I try to bother Dave only when I see something "broken" on the site.

We (Dave and I) are currently discussing the best way to open it up so everyone can post project links.  There's a couple options he and I have tossed around.

If you will just create that page (list of projects and the links to your pages) -- by the end of the week the planets should be realigned so you can post a link to your page.  I have to consolidate 3 pages that have boat/author projects on them.  Just give me a couple days.  Or if you want to email me the wiki markup (the coding) you want, I'll put it on the page for you as I create it.

Remember to send me how the wording should be for the "index pages" so I can incorporate it.

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

Jon,

After back-and-forths w/ Dave Webmeister Sanner, what we're doing, is moving the By Boat/Author project list and those links off of the Main Page onto a new page so that you can add your link to that list.  The Main Page will have a link to that new page.

Here is the page to put your list of projects:
http://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Owner_Projects_by_Boat/Author

It's a work in progress, and you'll see that only Apache projects are there for now  [I Added more to the list] The rest will be moved, along with some orphan projects that are NOT on the list on the Main Page, over the coming days (weeks?) as my time allows.

Dave Sanner had a thought on your project list -- possibly as a heading, using the main Wiki topic that each project pertains to (e.g., "Electrical", for a rewire project.)  Just a suggestion.

Let me know what explanation/wording that you think makes the most sense to guide folks into adding their project(s) list, and we'll incorporate it into both locations. 

Ken

Jon W

I'm having problems accessing the website so didn't see your question until now. Too late now, but it seems like a lot of effort to move everything and create a new page. Keeping the section as it was on the main page, and adding text in the description to "contact the web master to add your boat name to the list" would make the steps clear. When the boat name is available to edit, you add the links to your projects and you're done.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Jon,

Nah, creating a new page takes about 20 seconds, and cutting and copying the wiki markup (the code on the home page) took about 90 seconds -- only because I had to find the wiki markup elsewhere (since I don't have credentials to get to the code on the Main Page.) I originally thought that I'd have to recreate the entries/links but due to a fluke (housekeeping on some orphaned pages) I found the code to copy/paste.

What takes some additional time is just going thru the links to ensure there's no duplicates and dead stuff. Plus whenever improvement in page formatting might look better.  Whenever I add something (like all the new manuals uploaded) I go thru and try to organize stuff so it's presented as logically as it can be (at least what I think is logic.)    You know..... If it works, make it better.

The reason for taking off the Main Page is to maintain the wiki as self administering as possible, and to avoid needing to engage someone (i.e., David) to add or edit what the masses can do themselves.

You (and anyone else) are good to go to add a link here to your project index page:
http://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Owner_Projects_by_Boat/Author

Ken

KWKloeber

Jon

Super write ups. Thx for the one on the LP locker, I have to install a locker and I like the idea of using a covering to protect the hose for a grille, etc.

One trick I forgot to mention before/put into those examples was linking to pics (or any file for that matter).  I didn't like how doing it the "wiki way" the link opens not the file itself, but opens the wiki page that shows the upload history and all other junk.  So, now I post links to files using the URL to the file itself, instead of the page name, so that way it eliminates that intermediate step to open the file.  I think there's a way to open the file into a new window, but I'm not that schmardt to figure out that one.

k

Jon W

Thanks. They are a lot of work to create, but worth the effort if it helps someone else out. When will it show up on the main Tech Wiki page? FWIW - I'm drafting another one for replacing the double doors on a MK I anchor locker with a new support structure and two smaller doors to install a horizontal windlass with a helm switch, rode counter, and a wireless remote up/down.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Just a quick note that the C30 TechWiki is up and fully running. 
No, not really.  But it's FINALLY heading toward becoming a reality.   

But I do hope that with some cross-posting in the future there'll be baby boat articles (engine, etc.) that will pertain to big boy C34 folks as well.

Regarding the first article:

https://groups.io/g/catalina30/message/100679

-k

Stu Jackson

Congratulations, Ken.  Betcha once they get the concept, they'll use it.  Just remember, except for Ron Hill who is a hunt-and-peck typist but who has contributed THE MOST material ever known to man about our boats, we've gotten used to repeating ourselves.  It comes with the territory.  But I found links and my 101 Topics to be way more useful than re-typing the same old same old.  My fingers ain't gettin' any more supple.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Stu

Congratulations to the owners— If they use it.  We're hoping!!
Cheers
-k