Upgrading Roller Furler

Previous topic - Next topic

Danielsh

My '91 C-34 has the original Hood 915 CL furler, which is finally giving out.  I'm considering several options, including the Schaefer 2100, Harken ESP Unit I, Harken Mk 4, and possibly a Hood.  I use the boat primarily in a freshwater lake currently, but may use for coastal cruising or doing the "Great Loop" at some point.  I don't want to over buy, but also want something that will both last and be versatile if we go "Off Lake"  Any thoughts on what works well, or more importantly, what does not?  Also, what's the preferred drum height to provide adequate for Anchor?  Currently my Drum is 4" off the deck, which can be a bit tricky.
Thanks for the input!

sailaway

upgraded to the Schaefer 2100 very happy with it can furl my jib with 2 fingers. the hard part is ordering the right forestay diameter you can order different height for the drum. I ended up replacing the forestay putting a turnbuckle to adjust  the length of the forestay. You have to measure and  measure again . Schaefer instructions are very good .  Charlie

Danielsh

Thanks Charlie.  How's the Sail Shape when reefed?

Jim Hardesty

I think that that roller furling has matured and all makes will do the job well.  The Schaefer that came on Shamrock does a good job.  On my previous boat I installed a Furlex.  My local sail maker sold them at near his cost.  He thought sails set better with the Furlex.  Was a simple job the instructions were very good.  IMHO the Furlex was a little better.  One club member that had an old Hood contacted Hood and they sold him a all new replacement at a very discounted price.
I think that some furlers do take different size luft tape.  May want to check that if you want to use your existing sails.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

sailaway

Can't really reply to sail shape when reefed. Mine is ok but I have a 150% jib which the sail shape is only good when all the way out. Charlie

Paulus

My boat had the 915CL and I replaced it with the Sea Furl 5 from Hood.  Hood also sold me the new replacement at a very discounted price.  Check them out.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Jim Hardesty

QuoteCurrently my Drum is 4" off the deck, which can be a bit tricky.

May I suggest you check the luff length of your existing sails.  How far can the sails be raised above the drum now.  That's how much higher the new tack can be raised.

QuoteHow's the Sail Shape when reefed?

The furlex I installed on my previous boat the tack would roll up a bit before the rest of the luff.  That would flatten the foot of the sail and the sail would have better shape for higher winds.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Paulus

My old genoa gave out in 2009.  I ordered a new genoa and they put a ropeluff reefing and furling patches in the sail.  I like the way it reefs, the only dissatisfaction I have with it when I am sailing close to the wind in heavy weather with only a 110 out.  I either drop off or put a little more sail out.(sort of defeats my purpose)
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

scgunner

Had some problems with my Hood furler a few years ago, I called Hood and they were johnny on the spot. They got the parts shipped promptly, the guy on the phone talked me through R&R, and when I needed a few extra bits to finish the job they sent them out no charge. Nothing I like better than good factory support, I'll stick with Hood.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

Dan : Look in WiKi and the Mainsheet tech notes.  I wrote an article on the upgrade to a new Hood open furler . 
Check Hood and see if they still give owners of their 915 system a discount!!  That's what I did and was very satisfied!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Danielsh

Thanks all for the helpful input.  Hood does still indeed give a pretty good markdown for the upgrade program, so went with the Seafurl 5.  While Hood provides terrible installation instructions, its a great furler, and with a few friends and a few beers, we had a successful install. 

Analgesic

My 1988 furler exploded this past July and I went with the high end Harken.  The local rigger said he wouldn't sell or install the lower end Harken, that it is cheap and designed for new boat builders who only care about price.  I reef all the time and get great sail shape, couldn't be happier. 
Brian McPhillips  1988 #584  M25XP

Noah

Please explain your inferred correlation between reefed sail shape and furler brand.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Noah : I don't believe that roller furler brand and reefed sail shape has any correlation. 
I found that sail shape depends on the sailmakers design of the sail and the foam luff.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Ron- neither do I. That is why I asked Brian to elaborate on his post.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig