Leaking Lewmar

Previous topic - Next topic

scgunner

I know this topic has been has been covered has been covered to death, but it seems to be usually about the problematic Beckson ports or the need to rebed the port be it Beckson or Lewmar. My problem is I have a leak in one corner of one port, I have replaced the rubber seal twice---no joy. My question is has anyone used a sealant when installing the rubber seals?
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Noah

Lots of places for the Lewmar "Old Standard" ports to leak, besides the main gasket seal. Check the "O" rings.   SOME parts are still available.  I replaced all of mine with the "New Standard", albeit not for leaks but for the lack of  available replacement trim rings.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Kevin

Give my friend and distributor "Peter" a call at and discuss the problem.  He knows more about Lewmar ports than anyone I have ever met.  I will PM the phone number.

kk

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

scgunner

Noah,

I don't have the early Lewmars with the twist lock, Top Gun was originally equipped with the Beckson "Leakmasters" after chasing leaks around the boat for several frustrating years I finally trashed them and replaced them with the newer Lewmars with the push locks. The boat has been bone dry for years until it recently developed this leak, I checked the bedding it's good, the water seems to be getting around the rubber seal even though it's compressed against the window and frame.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

scgunner

Ken,

Thanks for the number I'll give him a call if I can't get it figured out.

DaveBMusik

I suspect your port might be twisted rather than lying flat.
When I replaced my Becksons, I found the liner and core had separated and twisted the port slightly.
One advantage of rebedding is that you get a more flat, uniform surface.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

scgunner

Dave,

That's a possibility I hadn't considered, but I would think if that was the case it would have leaked from installation, that is however something worth looking at.
       Just curious, what prompted you to change out your Beckson's.

Noah

I have the same "new" Lewmars with the push locks, too. Unfortunately, I liked their old twist locks better. Have to be more careful latching the new ones; easy to get a "false latch" where they snap shut, look locked, but aren't. Especially an issue for me reaching over the settee to close. Nothing's perfect...at least no leaks around seals...so far.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

DaveBMusik

Quote from: scgunner on November 09, 2017, 10:05:36 AM
     Dave,

That's a possibility I hadn't considered, but I would think if that was the case it would have leaked from installation, that is however something worth looking at.
       Just curious, what prompted you to change out your Beckson's.

I was just going to re-bed to take care of a few leaks. After pulling them out, it was apparent someone had used 5200 and I was risking my fingers trying to clean them up. I ended up purchasing new ones from Defender.
I have a set of new lenses if anyone needs any or if you want an old port, let me know.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

scgunner

Dave,

Are you saying you replaced your old Becksons with new Becksons?

DaveBMusik

Quote from: scgunner on November 10, 2017, 10:05:02 AM
    Dave,

Are you saying you replaced your old Becksons with new Becksons?
I did and no problems. 
I had replaced the plastic lenses because they were really crazed and then realized what I was up against the following spring when I went to re-bed the ports.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

scgunner

Dave,

Glad to hear you have no problems with your new Becksons, I had nothing but problems with mine(leaks of course). I got Top Gun a year and a half after she was built so the Becksons were practically new. They leaked from the jump, I spent years chasing leaks trying everything along the way; new gaskets, new latches, rebedding, frame modification, etc.. I finally replaced them with Lewmars and this is the first leak I've had with them in over ten years.
         I think the problem with the Becksons is the application not the design, which is probably why Catalina switched to Lewmars a couple of years later. Becksons look like they were designed to be mounted straight up or lean forward, when installed leaning back they won't drain properly and essentially become water traps.

DaveBMusik

Quote from: scgunner on November 13, 2017, 08:56:02 AM
       Dave,

Glad to hear you have no problems with your new Becksons, I had nothing but problems with mine(leaks of course). I got Top Gun a year and a half after she was built so the Becksons were practically new. They leaked from the jump, I spent years chasing leaks trying everything along the way; new gaskets, new latches, rebedding, frame modification, etc.. I finally replaced them with Lewmars and this is the first leak I've had with them in over ten years.
         I think the problem with the Becksons is the application not the design, which is probably why Catalina switched to Lewmars a couple of years later. Becksons look like they were designed to be mounted straight up or lean forward, when installed leaning back they won't drain properly and essentially become water traps.

I had read plenty of problems with the Lewmars as well so decided not to deal with a change.
Beckson suggests cutting the frame of each port to the width of the cabin side plus trim ring. You can actually order them in different increments. I decided to drill a small drain hole in the "rain drain" as close to the trim ring as possible. There is a bit of water which accumulates but any rocking back and forth solves that.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

scgunner

C'mon Dave haven't you the old saying "don't rock the boat"

scgunner

FYI, after testing with the hose I finally figured out the water was getting in between the frame and the seal at the bottom. I ran a bead of sealant and that seems to have solved the problem.