Raymarine ST 4000 steers hard to port

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Asbury

Owned my 2005 C34 seven years and Otto the autopilot always performed perfectly until earlier this season when he started steering hard to port every time.
Have not changed or added any other electronics in the cockpit or anyplace else on the boat, so am wondering if anyone can suggest a cause/fix.
Called Raymarine and left message for tech response some time ago but no response and found no help in the owners manual.
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Roc

Hi Bill,
Did you check if you happened to place any metal object near the fluxgate compass?
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

britinusa

And...  Have you installed any new electronics recently - even if totally independent of the Raymarine Otto.
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Bobg

sometimes water find its way behind the screen , happened to me , I removed the water, added a gasket, trouble went away.  Trouble went away that time anyway :)
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Dave Spencer

Bill,
I have had very good luck with the Raymarine Technical Forum. Although Raymarine doesn't support the ST4000 any more, there is some great advice on the forum including some from Raymarine technical support people.  It's certainly worth a try. Phone calls to Raymarine are unlikely to be supported.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Bill Asbury

Thanks all for your prompt responses.
No metal objects installed near compass.
No new electronics installed.
Will check Otto for water incursion.
Will check Raymarine tech forum.
Kind regards.
Bill & Penne
Chesapeake Bay

Craig Illman

Stu Jackson

Great link, thanks, Craig.

Here's another one, same suggestion, Dan is a good guy!

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7129.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Hardesty

Bill,
You said that your st 4000 worked well.  I was never happy with mine, but I lived with it.  I changed to the Raymarine Evolution ev100.  Very happy with the new unit.  Before you spend a few hundred on repairing old electronics think about replacing.  It worked well for me.
Just my 2 cents.  Best of luck what ever you decide to do.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Bill Asbury

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions, guys!
Will do some checking and let you know what happens.
It's boat show time here in the Sailing Capital.
Bill & Penne
Chesapeake Bay

Jim Hardesty

Bill,
Thought of something when I was sailing today.  If you have a Rudder Position Sensor it may be broken or disconnected and your autopilot is trying to steer to a faulty input. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA