Stainless tubing bending and fabrication.

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Illman

Very nice! I'd need something a bit dimensionally different for my C30, but my GF would really appreciate something like this. I think you could go into business with this design.

Thanks for sharing, Craig

Sue Clancy

Craig,
The problem is every boat is a little different and so hard to make a consistent design. We tried ours on 3 different boats and each one needed changes to some dimension. Not sure there would be a enough  commonality to make it work on a larger scale.
Sue and Brian Clancy
Former owners - 1987 C34 Mk I #272
Home Port - Westbrook, CT

Jack Hutteball

Great helm seat solution Sue.  That would work on our boat nicely.  How do you hold the cushion on the seat, and is it a custom or a standard size?

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Sue Clancy

Everything in this is custom. Our seat cushion is 24x12 but the one we are making for our friends is 24x15 because their stern rail is set back further.

The cushion has 2 snaps at the front corners and some Velcro along the back edge to hold it in place.

We had the curved frame made by the stainless company and had them send us the straight legs too. Then ordered the Starboard from a guy on eBay as well as the rest of the parts from Amazon or EBay.

Total cost will be about $360 including making the cushion myself.
Sue and Brian Clancy

KWKloeber

Sue,

Nice -- of course I had a sneak preview.  How are the stand-offs attached?  Do they hold tight onto the rail?
When I made my back porch, I held the HDPE seats onto their rail bases with:

Genova brand CPVC pipe hangers.  They come for 1/2 and 3/4" pipe size--which OD is just under 1" tubing and have a countersink on the ID to use a flat-head fastener.  I adjust the amount of grab by taking down some of the nibs around the ID, and adjusting that worked well to also affix a hand-held GPS bracket to the pedestal guard - but that I wanted to be easily removable. They hold strongly enough to use to attach cup holders and the like onto rails.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Sue Clancy

We are using Bimini Curtain spacers - they make them for 7/8 or 1" tubing.  They hold on quite well for this purpose.  The force is downward and they grab from the top down so no issue with movement and they are easy to drill into to attach to the starboard with the flat edge.  And they are easy to remove with just a lift up of the seat.

I suppose if we were attaching something with more force on it the ones you have shown might be better.
Sue and Brian Clancy