New Portlights, Dead Ahead!

Previous topic - Next topic

BradinPCB

Well, I've read all that I can find via search (lots of broken or unworking links, btw).  Mostly the info I found was on the Beckson ports.  I'm sure I missed some so apologies for yet another portlight thread but what can I say....I tried. 

All my '88 C34 MKI Lewmar portlights leak.  Some dribble in heavy rain, some leak on sunny days.  They're all crazed and missing the outer cosmetic frames and look yucky so I want to replace them.  Unless I'm wrong, they are the old style (photo attached). 

Unless anyone has better option suggestions, I was going with this:  https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/2448_380/opening-port-lewmar-7-12-x-14-716.cfm

I've read somewhere that there's a known leak design defect with Lewmar ports but I cannot find information on that anymore and don't know if these are the ones talked about and if that has been corrected.  Can anyone share any wisdom about these as replacements? Any how-to vids that are Cat34 specific would be too sweet. 

I plan to use Butyl tape and Dow 795 as sealant/adhesives.   

KWKloeber

BradinPCB

Yes you have the old style Size 1.  The old ones have the turn latches, new ones have the slide-snap latches.

Are yours leaking from the lenses or thru the frames?  Have you considered refurbishing them?  Replacement smoke and clear lenses, new seals, and decorative trim rings are all available.  I just supplied sets for a C30 and the owner saved significant bucks.

I would use NO silicone on ports and hatch frames, only butyl tape or caulk.  Dow 795 is a VERY strong ADHESIVE -- you don't need that on the frames.

If you go new, PM me is you want to look at saving some bucks with dealer direct pricing.

Cheers
ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jon W

I have the same 6 opening portlights you have. For what it's worth - all 6 of mine were all leaking. Whatever was used to bed the frame onto the cabin was useless. I rebed all 6 with bed-it butyl tape, installed a new gasket, and o-rings under the latches for each portlight. No more leaks, and open and close better for much less money. ~ $110 vs ~ $1,300.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

BradinPCB

Quote from: KWKloeber on September 22, 2017, 06:56:28 PM
BradinPCB

Yes you have the old style Size 1.  The old ones have the turn latches, new ones have the slide-snap latches.

Are yours leaking from the lenses or thru the frames?  Have you considered refurbishing them?  Replacement smoke and clear lenses, new seals, and decorative trim rings are all available.  I just supplied sets for a C30 and the owner saved significant bucks.

I would use NO silicone on ports and hatch frames, only butyl tape or caulk.  Dow 795 is a VERY strong ADHESIVE -- you don't need that on the frames.

If you go new, PM me is you want to look at saving some bucks with dealer direct pricing.

Cheers
ken

I can't honestly say if it is through the lens or frames.  I think both/and on various ones.  Usually, H20 gathers and drips from the cup where the dog latch slides into when turned.  That makes me think its from the dog through the frame on those. 

The portside front cabin port is of concern because in changing the old cabin light to a new LED light and unscrewing it, water poured out of the screwhole (thread here:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9596.0.html).  I'm afraid of what I may find once I remove the portlight; such as it has been leaking into the core and rotting stuff. 

Secondly, the starboard side 2nd portlight doesn't seem to even be making contact with the body fully.  If the photo attached shows it, in two areas you can see daylight through the crack.  It's actually worse than the photo portrays.  Could it be that this just isn't bedded very well or has someone at some point possibly enlarged the portlight cavity? 

I love the idea of not buying new ones.  I also love the idea of getting new glass.  Bear in mind that I haven't ever popped one of these open so I'm learning as I go.  I'll send you my contact info.  Many thanks!

Jon W

The inside and outside frames of the portlight clamp the cabin side in between them to make the seal and hold them in place. There is a little wiggle room to align it in the hole. Maybe it's only out of alignment?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

I installed the same "Lewmar New Standard Portlight #1"  for all of mine in 2015. Bought them on sale online for a $15-20 less than CD. Only use Butyl tape, other sealer not needed for these.

Note: the new style dogs are quite different than the old and if you are not careful you may get what I call a "false latch", when the latch snaps closed but is not securing the port shut.  You need to push on the port lens while latching to ensure it catches the frame-side latch. This has been an issue for me with the harder to reach ports over the salon settee and has resulted in wet cushions. The new ports do come with screens and plastic trim ring.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Guys : I bought the "old style" replacement lenses from Select Plastics (877-874-3767) and the gaskets from Defender.  Do both at once !!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788