Lower Shroud Mast Rivets missing

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

I was working up the mast and as I descended, I noticed that the Port side Lower Shroud Mast connecting plate is missing 2 rivets, at the 11 o-clock and 4 o-clock positions.

By inspection I do not believe the rivets were ever installed. The plate shows no sign of movement and I can see what appears to be pilot holes in the mast behind the plate.

I plane to fix that with Pop Rivets, just looking for advice on the type of rivet, any anti corrosion application, advice etc.

Thanks.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Ben H.

Hi Paul,

I just repainted my whole mast this spring an in the process removed and reinstalled all those plates. They are stainless steel so a stainless steel rivet would match it best. There still might be a little reaction over time with the aluminum mast, but you'll have mixed metals either way. You could dip the rivet into Lanocote or something like that to add a little barrier before installing.
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886
Std. Rig, Wing Keel, M25XP Engine
Boat - Westport, Connecticut

britinusa

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Roc

Hi Paul.
Or, you may want to get some Tef Gel.  This is made for dissimilar metal contact.
http://tefgel.com/contain.php?param=tefgel_infor

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

rmbrown

I'm with Ben... but Lanocote vs. Tef Gel is a question I ask myself nearly every weekend.  I have a jar of each and am never sure!
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC