Leaking MkII Cabin Top Hand-Rail

Previous topic - Next topic

dselec

I need to rebed the starboard grab-rail which is dripping inside the cabin under 2 attachment points after a heavy rain. Do the stainless rails come off easily after removing the large screws on the inside? I would appreciate any tips from folks who have done this repair. I plan to use butyl tape for rebedding. Thanks in advance.

Dave
St Clair Shores, MI
1999 Catalina 34 Mk II #1450
Dave Siegel
1999 C34 mkII, hull #1450
Home Port: St. Clair Shores, MI

dfloeter

I rebedded mine last year and the hand rails came up easily when the screws were out.    The phillips heads are larger than most and I ended up with a larger straight screw driver with a square shaft in the phillips head and a small crescent wrench for purchase.   A properly sized phillips screw driver  would have been better but I lacked one at the time.

Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

dselec

Thanks for the info, Dietrich. After much searching for a suitably large screwdriver, I ended up ordering a #4 Phillips bit from Advance Auto Parts ($2.99 + free shipping). The bit is a good fit for the screws and fits in a 5/16" socket.
Dave Siegel
1999 C34 mkII, hull #1450
Home Port: St. Clair Shores, MI

Ron Hill

GUYs : Years ago I purchased a large #3 tip phillips screwdriver with a square shank.
That allows me to push on the handle and take a crescent wrench and turn the shank. 
that way I have Never messed up a phillips screw head!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788