White deposits forming on front of engine

Previous topic - Next topic

saltygirl

After running the engine for 2 hours (not running hot or rough), I noticed white, salty looking or calcium deposits on the front of the engine( the door under the steps) while I was doing the final clean before leaving her at the dock.  Any suggestions as to what the culprit could be? There was no water in the bilge and the rest of the engine looked fine( I looked from the aft cabin as well)
Thanks in advance!
Celeste and Greg Ray

Stu Jackson

Consider removing the companionway steps and take a closer look.  Most likely a good idea to look carefully at your raw water pump weep holes and gaskets.  Could be something simpler that just needs to be cleaned off.  The Critical Upgrades suggest looking at your engine when it's running as an important piece of maintenance.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

What year boat and engine? MK I boats don't have a door under steps...
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Pics!! Everyone these days has a smartphone!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

saltygirl

I cannot believe I did not take a picture..the boat is a 98 mkii
Celeste and Greg Ray

Jim Hardesty

saltygirl,

It's a help to all to add information to your signature.  Look what others have done.  The avatar is a nice touch also.
Just trying to help,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Salty : On what part of the "front of the engine"??   Did you try a taste test?

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

saltygirl

I am a nurse and would never do that...hehe! 
Maybe I can talk my husband into trying that ;-)
Celeste and Greg Ray

saltygirl

Ron,
The white deposits are located on the lower part of the engine to the right of the alternator belt.
😀
Celeste and Greg Ray

Ron Hill

Salty : The oil pan?  the bottom of the engine block?  where the soil pan joins the block?
A picture would help.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788