instrument pod removal from pedestal

Previous topic - Next topic

mdidomenico

i pulled the guard that wraps around the steering pedestal.  it also has two pods located on either side for speed and depth attached to the guard rail.  i managed to pull the instruments from the fiberglass housing, but i'm not able to remove the lower portion from the stainless guard rail.  i pulled the side screw out, but i suspect they're frozen to the rail in some having been attached for 30yrs.  i tried pb blaster, wd40, torch (for some heat), even banging on them with a hammer they don't seem to budge.

any other ideas for getting them off?  i'd entertain cutting them briefly, but ideally i'd like to resell them on ebay if i can and i'm also scared of damaging the stainless rail.

here's an example of the bracket (from ebay): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Edson-Pod-Bracket-B-403-2-/132099896389
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Stu Jackson

Try www.edsonmarine.com.  IIRC, they have manuals and installation instructions on their website.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Hardesty

If I understand correctly you are not able to remove the pedestal guard from the base fitting where it goes into the cockpit floor.  If that is correct, I suspect your problem may be that it's full of calking.  You can check that from below.  If that proves to be the case you can try cutting some from below, steady pressure, moderate heat, release agent or as a last resort brute force.
Hope this helped.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

mdidomenico

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on September 06, 2017, 05:01:24 AM
If I understand correctly you are not able to remove the pedestal guard from the base fitting where it goes into the cockpit floor.

no sorry for my bad explanation.  the guard itself pulled right out of the fittings attached to the cockpit sole.  and yes there is a big gob of 5200 or something in there i have to dig out. 

the piece i'm referring to are the little pods that sit on the side that hold depth/speed instruments.  i can't seem to budge them loose.  i had a thought last night about trying some CLR on it, maybe it'll break down the calcification between the mount and the guard rail.
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp