Voids Under Aft Berth And Water Tank

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon W

I'm not getting any water in there. I thought you may be interested in a few ideas on where to look.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

Quote from: scgunner on September 01, 2017, 06:41:56 PM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I'd say it's probably wash down or rain water getting through the hatch cover on aft lazeret. >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Where I came from in Northern California, and what this summer up here has been this year (DRY), I do NOT have those conditions, and still have water in my dip.  :D  My water tank isn't leaking, so that's why I posted the link to the stern tube for the rudder and its packing gland.  Only thing I can think of that's back there to do it.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : The rudder packing gland is above the water line while the boat is stationary. 
Under water when you are motoring!! 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Fred Koehlmann

Another potential water intrusion area is in and around the emergency tiller access port. Water sometimes builds up in there and then drips through.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Noah

Fred, tiller cover leak wouldn't apply to his MK I, unless it is leaking around shaft as it enter cockpit? Not sure if you are in fresh or saltwater, but my first thing to do with standing water is the taste test. Generally helps you learn a lot right off the bat.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

scgunner

FYI, I finished filling the voids/valleys/dips yesterday and tested it by putting a hose in the aft lazeret and running it full blast, the water ran past them and down to the bilge, so now there's no standing water in the back of the boat. This project started with a leaky rear water tank which lead to this project which lead to reefer replacement which has now lead to replacing badly split cockpit drain hoses, hopefully this will be the last of my nasty surprises in this part of the boat.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273