Windless article

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

QuoteDoes anyone have pictures of the new windlass once installed.

Here are some pictures of my windless.  Maxwell Freedom 500.  Mostly factory with the reverse switch added.  Works great.  Added feature, I remove the rode and use the drum to go up the mast.   Just have a couple of blocks to lead the halyard to the drum, a good person tailing and toe pressure is all it takes to send 200# up the mast.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Jim Hardesty

More.
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

dfloeter

Here is one photo our Maxwell VW10 in the well.
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

bayates

All,

I have the original article from the author Chic Lasser and able to send out with his permission. But unable to post it as file size to large with pictures. I even converted to PDF format to dhrink it but not enough. Send me a note and I will email to anyone who wants it.
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA

Dave S

Dietrich,
My upgrade looks just like yours. I wish we had room for a second switch for "reverse." Fortunately the remote works well.
2000 Mk II #1471
s/v Breezin'
Annapolis, MD

dfloeter

While not sure if I mentioned it before but my remote cost $12.40 from Amazon and still operated at 425 feet away.
So far so good on this key fob sized remote but like Dave said, it saves trying to install a down button. I have been wondering if one day we'll find ourselves within 425' of another remote using the same frequency.
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Lucky Tiger

I know this thread is a bit old but which remote are you using? I'm looking to replace stock windless with the VW10 soon. TIA
2000 MKii "Lucky Tiger II" #1462

Noah

I am using the very expensive one :shock: that is designed to match it. Plus I have its corded version as well, as a "back-up" that plugs into a socket in the anchor locker. Both work well but....lots of $$
https://www.defender.com/search.html?q=maxwell%20aa710%20wireless%20handheld%20remote%20windlass%20controller%20%26%20rode%20counter
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

I installed a version from this company for a customer that wanted to wirelessly control a dinghy davit.  Their system is adaptable to any brand of hardware (in my application it was used to controll Warn hoist drums).  They also have larger remotes that float.  It was a very nifty setup.

https://www.quickusastore.com/boat-supply/accessories/wireless-remotes-and-receivers/rrc-wireless-pocket-remote/
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Lucky Tiger

Thanks, I was hoping to get the info on the $12.99 Amazon special mentioned above. I have a MKii with just the rope drum. Is the swap strait forward or is there any modifications needed?

dfloeter

The Amazon price went up to $17.99 but that includes to transmitters and I initially only had one.  Search for Liebmaya windlass remote and at that price you will find the receiver and two transmitters that are about the size of a car remote. The remotes have worked for years with the only issue being they do do not like to make the trip to the bottom on an anchor check.  Salt water kills them.
Maybe I mentioned this before but my initial test showed a 450' range on the transmitter.  With that range I hope few people use these units as I do not know how many different frequencies are used.  I hope to never encounter another user on 403mhz while raising the hook. I did buy another remote/receiver as a backup and got one marked 404mhz and will change out the receiver if I go for another swim.  The battery in the transmitter seems to have a good lifespan.  So far so good. 
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Lucky Tiger

Ron Hill

Guys : My major regret is that when I installed my windlass - is that I didn't install a down switch.  The solenoid is set up for it and another switch and it's not that costly!!

So Don't make the same mistake that I did.  Have both "up" and "down" switches!!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Ron- EDIT:
No room for two foot switches on the MKl SINGLE-DOOR locker set-up as Catalina installed the up switch taking up too much real estate. So I decommissioned my up foot switch and go with a wireless remote, as well as a wired remote that can be plugged in to a waterproof socket that is inside the anchor locker.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

I have never considered a wireless remote for an anchor windlass on a c34 till you memtioned it Noah.  It certainly makes for a great short handed anchoring set up!  I might have to consider that when I get to installing a windlass.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte