LPG gas usage

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Morrison

I am a new C34 owner and also using an LPG gas stove for the first time. Can anyone advise me about how long I can expect the 3.7kg gas cylinder to last? I use one burner of the stove about 2-3 hours per month (24 to 36 hours per year) The Cylinder was last filled July 2016 just before I bought the boat.

Jon W

Don Casey's rule of thumb is 1 pound of propane per week for 1 person cooking 3 meals a day. If he's right then your 3.7 kg would last you about 8 weeks cooking 3 meals a day. Lots of variables like what is his definition of a meal.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ross Fisher

Jack,
My usage is about the same as yours and I typically get about 18 months out of a gas bottle.
Ross Fisher
# 1486  "Avventura"                            
2000 Catalina Mk11 Wing Keel
M35B
Melbourne, Australia

Ron Hill

Jack : I changed to a 10lb. bottle. 
We averaged 100 overnights a year and the bottle lasted for one season(did this many seasons).  In the early spring and fall we baked bread & muffins in the AM to heat-up the cabin.  (two of us)
Usually used only one burner for lunch and supper.

Also usually cooked nightly on a rail mounted propane BBQ

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Dave S

Jack,
If you also use a propane grill onboard, consider getting an adaptor for the 1-pound disposable propane bottles in case your larger tank runs out. It's cheap back-up. I keep one on my boat, but haven't needed it yet. I have another one at home where I did need it when my 20-lb tank ran out in the middle of grilling some steaks.  :shock:
I just did a search on Amazon and saw this one for ten bucks:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2BD2XH/ref=asc_df_B01N2BD2XH5142364/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B01N2BD2XH&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167141575819&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10877595796553368203&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007880&hvtargid=pla-375634169197
2000 Mk II #1471
s/v Breezin'
Annapolis, MD

rmbrown

Awesome idea! From a guy who find himself anchored out lat Saturday, 30 miles from home, with a cold supper and just enough gas to boil a pot of water.  When the curry and rice, fortunately pre-cooked, went on the fire went out.

Thank goodness for the super hot water on our boats.  We sat the pots in pans of hot water to warm it!
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Jack Morrison

Thanks for the info.... I'm getting a tank refill now, and am confident with the help of the forum I can monitor the usage going forward and avoid cold dinners!

Ken Juul

The easiest way to tell how much gas you have left is to weigh it using a cheap luggage scale.  The weight of the tank is stamped on it, everything else is gas.  When we were cruising, I would weight monthly, fill up when it was getting to about 1/4 full.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA