Another One Bites the Dust - M25 Alternator Bracket, Again

Previous topic - Next topic

mainesail

Found this on another forum:

"After a pleasant half season with my new (to me) XXX the timing gear cover has cracked where the (original) alternator bracket bolts to it & now leaks oil. I was aware of the new bracket upgrade but thought I could skate threw the season with it and do the retro in the fall as the engine only had 600 hrs on it."

One more reminder that the alternator bracket upgrade is NOT optional!!!
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Stu Jackson

It is unfathomable to me how blind some skippers can be to reality.

I wrote this a while ago:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7917.msg55150.html#msg55150

OK, let me now say how I really feel.

How stupid can some people be?

I wrote the alternator bracket wiki in 1999.  Ron Hill, Maine Sail and I and a few others have been warning about this for decades.

There are still some out there who don't know about this "feature" of their boats.  That I can even begin to understand.  Maybe they aren't computer literate and don't read boating forums.

But when they DO know about and DON'T DO ANYTHING, they are simply dolts.

How do I know this?

Because was one of those dolts myself.  I actually had the bracket, right there ON MY BOAT, I didn't do it, and it happened to me.  Thankfully my gear case cover remained intact.

Most don't.

Please.  Don't be stupid.

Please, also, pass the word.  We keep tryin'.  :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Rod

Is that on SBO?  Would be interesting to follow to see the resolution.

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

britinusa

Ken, I could not find the quote anywhere, but that only means that the site (whatever) is not as well indexed as C34.org.

:D

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

KWKloeber

Quote from: britinusa on August 12, 2017, 02:12:25 PM
Ken, I could not find the quote anywhere, but that only means that the site (whatever) is not as well indexed as C34.org.
Paul

Ya, I couldn't either. I'd like to let him know if he needs one that I have a used cover from my tractor network.  Wb ain't got no more of those.  :cry4

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ron Hill

Guys : What is so sad is that when the Universal Service bulletin first came out (1989/1990?) it was a free upgrade.
One of our Fleet 12 members had the upgrade, but didn't install it until the he had a real problem - lucky he only screwed up the oil filter!! 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Ron

I'm not questioning what you're saying. but is there an earlier SB around than SB-193? I never heard of a free upgrade on that BO-B0,  Other's yes, but not that one.
Is there something about it being free in the TNs?

DATE: 12 June 1991
MODEL: Universal MlS, M25 & M25XP
SUBJECT: DC Alternator Mounting
BULLETIN NUMBER: 193

..........owners of these early Universal models are encouraged to inspect their
units and if they find the DC charging alternator mounted directly to the
front gear case cover that they purchase a conversion kit PN# 256891 .............

Jon W

I thought I read one of these threads that the alternator bracket was not an issue on the M25XP? The SB you're referencing lists the M25XP.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jon W on August 13, 2017, 08:47:03 PM
I thought I read one of these threads that the alternator bracket was not an issue on the M25XP? The SB you're referencing lists the M25XP.

Correct Jon, you did read that on here but not from me -- that's inaccurate --  it did pertain to the XP, but not every XP.  It's too bad that they didn't provide the engine serial number range or dates to which the SB pertained.  I understand from Stu that most?? XPs put into C34s already had the mod.

There's other "misrepresentations" about our engines that float around among different forums -- be cautious about what you believe "because it's on the internet."

ken

Ron Hill

Guys : The M25XP alternator was never an issue!! 
That's why Oshkosh changed the bracket on the follow-on engines to the M25 original - that were installed in the first 1987 C34s 
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Ron,

That is not fact. There were early XPs  that had the old bracket. Where are you getting your information?
I can't say whether any of them were installed on C 34s, but there was indeed explode-a-brackets on XP engines. 

The reason that occurred, is because it was not a "clean break" between M-25 and XP parts. There are a few part items that carrief over onto early XPs. For instance the m-25 bell housing was carried over onto the XP, and when those parts were exhausted the "indented" XP bell housing was used.  Likewise on the early XP with those bell housings the horizontal Hx bracket for the M-35 (not 25) was used until the bell housing was switched to the newer style with the vertical mounts.