Repairing Headliner Holes

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBMusik

Has anyone had success matching the headliner color with some kind of putty? I replaced my curtains with shades and have a number of screw holes I would like to fill.

Thanks, Dave
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

KWKloeber

Dave

My liner may be a different shade, but yes, I used marinetex and a little bit of fiberglass color additive.  I can't tell you the colors/proportions, but I tried a little at a time to get it right.  I mixed up the entire container ahead and keep it ready to use, separate from my other "white" marinetex.

Also I found a rattle can paint color at Lowes or HD that precisely matches my liner (it may have been Valspar brand.)  if I need to cover a nick, I just spray some into a plastic cup, and use an artists brush to touch up.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Hardesty

Dave,
Sometimes it looks better just to put a screw back into the unused hole.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Good idea, Jim, and with finish washers, too!   :D

My PO made some small holes.  I use as a "test" for folks who come to visit my boat.  "What do you think these five screw holes are for?" 

Some can guess from the pattern, but only a very few get it.  That's only fiar, though, 'cuz it took me two years to figure it out!   :cry4` :shock: :clap :clap :clap
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Yeah, I been known to drill a few holes in the wrong place and then fixed them by installing a some shiny "Fasteners to nowhere" in various locations on my boat as well. Don't tell anyone!  8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

DaveBMusik

Quote from: KWKloeber on August 12, 2017, 12:28:11 AM
Dave

My liner may be a different shade, but yes, I used marinetex and a little bit of fiberglass color additive.  I can't tell you the colors/proportions, but I tried a little at a time to get it right.  I mixed up the entire container ahead and keep it ready to use, separate from my other "white" marinetex.

Also I found a rattle can paint color at Lowes or HD that precisely matches my liner (it may have been Valspar brand.)  if I need to cover a nick, I just spray some into a plastic cup, and use an artists brush to touch up.

k

Thanks Ken, that's what I was looking for!
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

KWKloeber

Sometimes all the stars align.  :thumb:

BTW, I had a section of liner that I had cut out that I took to a big box to match w/ the paint.

Long shot, but another thought is to call Spectrum Color (800) 7 five 4 - five 5 one 6 , they might have the Catalina liner color in a gel paste as they do with the white hull color.  Because they have so many colors in the inventory, they probably do make the color for another boat gel coat, but you'd have to know what boat color is close to the catalina liner color.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain