R&D Marine Engine Mounts

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave S

Does anyone have experience with the R&D Marine engine mounts? I'm planning to replace the mounts on a Universal M35B.
I searched and found that someone asked a question about R&D engine mounts and flexible couplings, but all the responses at the time (2009) focussed on flexible couplings.
2000 Mk II #1471
s/v Breezin'
Annapolis, MD

KWKloeber

Dave,  What, you don't want take out a mortgage to pay for the Westerbeke mounts?   :shock: :shock: :shock:

Do the R&D match the hole pattern?  I have tried for 5 years to source the Wb mounts, with no luck yet.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Dave S

Yeah, the OEM Westerbeke mounts are $227 each. The R&D Marine mounts are about half that.
R&D claims they match the bolt pattern, but I notice from their drawings that the slots for the lag bolts aren't as wide as those on the OEMs. A couple of mine are mounted a little off-center, so I might have to suck it up amd buy from Westerbeke.  :cry4`
2000 Mk II #1471
s/v Breezin'
Annapolis, MD

Noah

Will Vetus mounts fit the M35B?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Dave S on August 04, 2017, 03:56:56 PM
Yeah, the OEM Westerbeke mounts are $227 each. `

Don't pay list unless you want to.  $850 for 4 + UPS.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

patrice

Hi,
If it just the slot that look a bite narrower.
For half price, buy them and brign them to a local machine shop.
They will be able to machine a wider slot.
Take a picture with you to them before and explained what you need, they will tell you if they can and how much?.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Dave S

Ken: Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'm hoping to replace the mounts when I haul out this fall.
Noah: From what I've read, the lag screw holes might not line up.
Patrice: I think I've talked myself out of the R&D mounts. They're tapered where the lag screw slot is, so there's not much opportunity to expand it.
2000 Mk II #1471
s/v Breezin'
Annapolis, MD