Telescoping whisker pole selection

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

Thx Ken. I know how fixed and retractable bowsprits work, have sailed/raced a few boats (Js and Moores), but not interested in fitting one to my boat. Got enough complications and trip hazards in my old, one-eyed life. Thinking about maybe making an extended beefy bow roller/stem fitting like Jon W did, but not for second anchor, instead using it to add some more room forward to attach an A-sym furler.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Ya.  The pole isn't retractable.  It's removed with one pin.
But it's set up with a tack line like a top down asym furler should be, rather than just clipping onto a bale.  Nothing really to trip over unless you're standing on your roller.

And it's so easy to deploy the top down he doesn't have to have the hardware on there all the time, only when he's  sure he'll be using the chute.  Hoist it from the deck, harden the tack, and sail.  I wish he made a vid of it. 
I think the pole is a little long for my taste, but he has some serious tackle up front to get by. He's thinking of manufacturing them for Catalinas.

Kinda  the same as beefing up a roller, but better placement for the chute/furler and not permanent.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

You're thinking of a top down, or conventional?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Noah

Standard Rig

Noah

This is a "stolen" pic of Jon's bow roller (thx Jon). Something like this would give me room for a top down furler forward of the jib furler.
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

so since you're not moving the tack out very far, staying inside the rail,, are you extending the mast truck any more forward?  or will pin it where the spin block bale is? 
Do you have a pic of any set up that way?

Noah

No, just in the "what if" stage at this point.
Standard Rig

Wayne

I had an asymmetrical set up for several years utilizing a second bale that I installed forward of the existing one.  The setup worked ok with the rolled up asymmetrical 'living' inside the bow pulpit.  A problem that I had was that the two sails were too close together and whichever sail was rolled up interfered with the airflow of the sail in use--inside telltales didn't function.  I had a short sprit built, similar to the one in the pictures on this thread.  Works well.
I also installed a sort of funky bobstay consisting of a large turnbuckle attached to the bottom of the anchor roller with the other end tied into the bottom bolt of the stainless stemhead strap.  If attaching to the anchor roller I would consider this extra 'insurance' support.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca