Companionway Screeching New stocked Available

Previous topic - Next topic

mholzmann

Quote from: Stu Jackson on August 13, 2017, 12:17:26 PM
Quote from: mholzmann on August 13, 2017, 12:02:22 PM
On the C36  92 and older water drains directly aft to the cockpit. In 93 and later in the MkII the water is diverted to the cabin top. I believe on the 34 it's the same.

Nope.  I have two slits on the sides of each wooden hatch holder.  When I flush the channels, water comes out these slits.  I had posted a photo years ago of this, haven't been able to find it, yet...

Perfect!  I hope you don't mind I have copied your pictures.  It really helps explain where the strips go and how they work.  The beauty is you don't have to take anything apart.  Although eventually one should, LOL

Hugh17

Do you still have a set? What is the cost? I interested.
Thanks!
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25

Indian Falls

put mine in in less than five minutes this weekend.  What a deal!  slide and forget
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

mholzmann

Mike McDonald

Hi Mark,
I finally had a chance to put the strips in my hatch glides. They slid in easily, no trimming required, and they seem to stay in place without any screws or adhesive. What a difference! Thanks so much.
Mike....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Terry Forshier

Mark. I sent you $12 by pay pal.  for the hatch strips. Send to Terry Forshier, 1750 Sandpiper St, Naples Fl 34102

Stucker

Can someone tell me if this fix works on a newer 2003 MKII?   My main issue isn't so much the noise but the fact that my hatch will stick and not want to open if it's cold outside and I have a heater running inside.  Any kind of temperature variable locks down the hatch.   
Scott Tucker
2003 C34 MK II
Hull #1654
Toronto/1000 Islands

mholzmann

Hi Stucker!  The strips do not work on the Mk II hatch system on the C36 and I have to assume its the same for the C34.   :cry4`  I am trying out some different ideas and will let you know if I have success

Roc

Not sure where to buy this stuff, but in manufacturing plants, the mechanics use teflon tape on the guide rails to minimize friction as product goes down the line.  If you have access to a plant, maybe someone there knows where to get it or can give you several feet to try.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Jim Hardesty

QuoteCan someone tell me if this fix works on a newer 2003 MKII?

I took the sea-hood off Shamrock and replaced the factory (peeling) Teflon tape with Teflon tape from Granger Supply.  That was maybe 7 years ago and it still slides very easy and quiet.  Was a simple but time consuming job. Mostly removing the old dried out sealer and some fine fitting of the sliding hatch.  I did a search here and it looks like you can buy the tape from Catalina, think the tape from Granger was thicker.  That's the way I did it.  If your sliding hatch will lift up enough the strips would be much quicker to install.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Roc

If you go to the website, it comes in various thicknesses, less than 0.060 if that's too thick.

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/slick_strips

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

mholzmann

Quote from: KWKloeber on April 17, 2018, 03:01:51 AM
Is this stuff too thick to fit the thin space?

http://realitycheck.me/squelching-the-screeching-hatch.htm
Just get my strips problem solved.  You can buy your own 4 foot by 8 foot sheet of 1/16" HDPE plastic and cut a strip 1" x 72" there is not secret.  I just have gone through the process of doing for the group.   I have sold over 62 sets since I started last Summer.  Not one dissatisfied customer.  No adhesive back, no cleaning necessary just slide them in or take them out.  It takes seconds.  holzie at g mail dot com for more info

Bobg

Thanks Mark, just received my strips, will put them on in a few weeks, my companionway cover squeaks a little, ( I tend to come into the boat a little late when people are sleeping)  I know there are other ways to quiet it down,  but, sometimes its easier and fun to buy stuff from members of this board that have researched it, and did the work for us at a reasonable cost.  I have no doubt what you sent will work, and for 15 bucks, including shipping, I'm in..Thank You Mark, Bobg on Ghostrider
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands