Replacing Adler Barbour refrigeration

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugh17

There are several posts on replacing Adler Barbour refrigeration in the MK1, but I thought it best to start a new thread on my questions.

My apparently original Adler Barbour is working, but not well. I've spent a couple hundred dollars several times over the years, and don't think it's worth throwing more money at for repairs. One refrigeration guy is advising that I relocate the Condensor/compressor from the Lazarette hatch since it gets so hot in there.

Assuming I replace with a new unit and relocate the Condenser/compressor:

OPTIONS I'M CONSIDERING
V Berth - Air or water cooled? I already have a seacock there that's not being used. Thoughts?

Under the range - I would loose the shelf as a storage for pots and pans, but I like the idea of the Condensor/compressor being in the climatized cabin. This would be good when docked with the AC going, but not so good if at anchor. Thoughts? I know other owners have done this. Any suggestions on models that will work?

OPTIONS I'M NOT CONSIDERING
Under the settee - I only have one bench that is storage. And really don't want to lose it.

I look forward to the feedback.

James
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25

Stu Jackson

James,

This thread covered almost all the answers I can think of:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9517.0.html

Water cooled requires more components that can fail.  Even fridge experts, including Kollmann and the guys on Cruisers Forum don't recommend it.

fridge position
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Hugh17

Stu,

Thanks for the link. I had already searched and found several threads with tons of recommendations. They seem to be all over the board. I guess I'm being lazy but I feel like I'm running a wild goose chase reading all those posts. I was hoping that there was a bit more of a consensus on a replacement system based on the two locations I'd prefer for the condenser unit.

Still looking for suggestions if anyone reads the original post.
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Universal M25

Hugh17

Stu,

Do you know how many cubic feet the ice box is on the MK1?
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Universal M25

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Hugh17 on July 23, 2017, 01:20:29 PM
Stu,

Do you know how many cubic feet the ice box is on the MK1?

I seem to recall 6 cu ft.  Anybody else?  I'll measure it tomorrow, too.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Hugh17

James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Universal M25

Stu Jackson

James, to partially copy something I wrote recently on an Exhaust Riser is Dead thread:

Consensus means agreement or accord.   There were 1,801 Catalina 34s built.  All of them that have fridges had to have their compressors placed somewhere.  Are there statistics on what location they chose?  No.  I have been an owner since 1998, Association Secretary since 1999, and was gifted by my PO with every single issue of Mainsheet magazine from 1987 on, when C34 articles were first written.  I read them all, developed the Tech Notes Index and worked with your officers to put the tech notes online.  There has not been a consensus on where to place the compressor, ever.

Why?  Because they were, at least on most of the earlier Mark I boats, installed by the dealers, not the factory (as was the case later on).

Most of the boats had them in the lazarette, because of the reasons I mentioned in my reply in the link I provided earlier.  Others were where I said they'd been placed, simply because of the spacial realities of the boats.

Them's yer choices, friend, unless you can find another one.  :D  Heck, you could put it in the base of the V berth locker, but the noise would get you at night.  :D

Ron Hill

James : I believe that down in the aft lazerette is about the coolest place in a C34 for the compressor unit.
It also only can be heard when in the aft cabin and then it is a low sound. I've always thought that the factory selected that area for the best air circulation.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Mine is an A/B located under a shelf in the lazzerette strarboard. I sleep in the aft cabin and it is not that loud. However, it would not be easy to service if I had to, without removing the shelf and LPG tank/box and standing on my head, and/or removing my aft water tank.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Aft lazarette.  We don't have a propane locker back there.  I wiggle down and service it.  Have replaced the fan twice, the electronic module once.  Getting out?  Heck, I still feel like I'm still in there!!!:D

Hugh17

Stu et al,

Thanks for the comments. My current condenser is located in the lazarette. But if I repace it I want to explore all the options. I've never heard my unit running when sleeping in the aft cabin. That being said
I don't want to put it under the V-berth and potentially cause a sleep issue.

Seems that I read on another post that the condenser was located on the shelf under the range. I like that option because it minimizes the run for the refrigerate lines and DC power. The negatives I see are losing the shelf for storage and adding a heat source in the cabin. But, I'm not ruling it out.
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Universal M25

Noah

Perhaps you have a different stove then I do (a gimbaled 3-burner Hiller w/oven) but I can't imagine enough space underneath mine for a reefer compressor. How about a photo?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Hugh17

Noah,

I don't have a picture of a condenser mounted under the stove. But I seem to remember someone on one of these posts mentioning it. The CU-100 Alder Barber condenser measures Width - 10" x High - 7.5" x Depth 11.1". I haven't measure the shelf space on my boat, but plan to do so on my next trip there in a couple weeks.
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Universal M25

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Hugh17 on July 23, 2017, 10:48:22 PM
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>
The CU-100 Alder Barber condenser measures Width - 10" x High - 7.5" x Depth 11.1". I haven't measure the shelf space on my boat, but plan to do so on my next trip there in a couple weeks.

James, just being a "picky" engineer, but the "box" you're referring to includes BOTH the compressor (used to cool the refrigerant) and the condenser (the finned tubes and fan used to eject the heat), which, for this and most other sizes for our recreational boats, are mounted on the same base.

For some bizarre reason, in the past most people have referred to it as the compressor, dunno why. :D

Hugh17

Stu,
I've referred to it as "condenser," "compressor," "condenser/compressor." and "condenser unit." It seems that the manufacturers and retailers prefer "condenser units." I think when discussing we often use the shortest term out of convenience. But yes, I understand that the unit is composed of a compressor, condensing cool, and control system.

On a separate but related comment, I want to thank you for moderating, and providing valuable input to the various topics posted on the discussion board.
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Universal M25