Radar arch, what are your thoughts?

Previous topic - Next topic

Mas Tequila

We have been entertaining the idea of installing a radar arch. We think that this may solve a few issues that we have as well as add space to allow us to expand to adding radar at some point, solar panels, outboard motor mounts, moving our GPS antenna up and out of the way, etc. The system that we have been looking at will mount outside of the pushpit and extend above the bimini which will free up some space around the cockpit which does tend to be a bit tight with all the goodies that tend to be mounted to the pushpit. It also incorporates dinghy davits which is very attractive to us.

Just wondering if any of you have added an arch or your thoughts.
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

Jon W

I haven't installed an arch but will be building my own Bimini frame to mount solar panels, AIS antenna, etc. for the same reasons you mentioned. What product are you looking at for the arch?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

britinusa

We have Radar & AIS & 350W of Solar, all mounted on top / over the Bimini - it's a hodgepodge.

Several members at out local sailing club have installed Arches and a Lotto win would have me working on the design aspect.

Some have SS and other Aluminum, I was surprised how well the AL Arch worked out.

If I did design one, I would work out how to have the bimini canvas attached below the arch rather than over it in order to be able to remove the canvas during Hurricane Prep.

Jon, consider using a vhf spliter in order to have AIS - advantage - Mast head Antenna

Paul

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Mas Tequila

Jon,

We have decided to go with an Atlantic Tower " tower in a box". The tower in a box product name is somewhat confusing because it sounds like a one size fits all system. They make a number of them in different sizes to fit different configurations and mounting options. We have chosen to go with the more heavy duty tower which is made of schedule 80 aluminum instead of the schedule 40. It's a bit more money but we figure it's cheap insurance allowing us to hang pretty much anything we want from it. We also have ordered the davit mounts with it. They also have a number of add-ons that you can get like mounts for solar, hardware for outboard motor mounts, antennas, etc.

They just happen to be at the end of their fiscal year and have attractive pricing as they are reducing inventory.  We saved nearly $400.00, got free shipping and since they have no brick and mortar in Michigan there is no sales tax. They really have been very helpful sizing the tower for our application and explaining how it will mount to our boat. Another boat in our marina has one of their towers on a power boat and it seems very well built and they just love it. My son is a commercial and under water welder and we were going to have him build one for us but he doesn't think he could really save us that much.

If I can ever figure out how to post pictures I'll put some up once it gets here.
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Mas Tequila on July 24, 2017, 08:08:35 AM

If I can ever figure out how to post pictures I'll put some up once it gets here.

From the 101 Topics, Posting & Resizing Photos:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3701.msg24645.html#msg24645
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mas Tequila

Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

Mas Tequila

Here is the new arch. The davit hardware and solar panel is on the way. Atlantic Towers was very helpful and answered all my stupid questions. Installation was pretty straight forward and this thing is rock solid. We did have to cut down the horizontal sections a total of 8 inches, 4 inches on each side as it was a little wide but that was a piece of cake. The other issue we ran into was the location of the locker in the aft berth, we  had to mount the arch so the forward mounting hardware was aft of that bulkhead but it really wasn't a big deal. I must have measured 50 times before we installed the mounts because the idea of drilling 20 holes in the hull was a bit unsettling. We will be moving the GPS antenna up onto the arch as well, the location where the PO had placed it made it a dock line magnet. The aft support legs are offset 10 inches to fit the curvature of the hull and once to set the preload they fit great.
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

Mas Tequila

Sorry about the angle of this shot but it should give you a better idea how the arch is mounted.
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

Mas Tequila

We are also thinking about a bimini top attached to the arch something along these lines, time will tell.
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

britinusa

Do you have any pics of inside the attachments at the hull?

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

jmcdonald

Did you have to "bow" the aft supports in yourself, or did Alantic towers take care of that for you?

Mas Tequila

The arch is made with a 10" offset between the forward and aft support legs which matches the hull contour very closely. Any minor adjustment is very easy to do by hand and you won't be doing any pipe bending. You do need to need to make the arch about 5 inches wider than the hull and then use a ratchet strap to pull in which preloads the arch. Super easy to do.

I don't have pictures of inside the hull mounting points but as soon as I get back to the boat I'll take a few and get them posted. Unfortunately that will be about 2 weeks.   
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

Mas Tequila

Sorry this has taken so long to get posted and that the angle of the pictures are not the best. For the disclaimer, I spent a few days in the hospital and was not able to climb into the aft lazarette to get better pictures, had to just point my phone in the general direction and hope for the best. OK enough for the whining and excuses.

This is the starboard side, forward arch mount and as you can see (hopefully) it lays just behind the bulkhead of the aft storage locker that is in the aft berth (MK-I boats). Given that the arch supports are 2 feet center to center you have to mount the arch pretty far aft to clear this bulkhead but we are very pleased with it's location. Just remember to measure carefully.
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

Mas Tequila

Again starboard side. This is the aft arch support location and as you can see it's it's pretty close to the transom but very easy to get to and doesn't crowd the transom. The rear mount on the port side is of course located in the same place and the forward port side arch support has no clearance issues at all. We have a 300 watt solar panel that should be here next week and once we get it mounted I'll post pictures of that.

Again this arch is rock solid and we are very pleased with it, the grand-kids think it's a fantastic diving platform and are not happy that once the solar panel is in place they won't be able to dive from it anymore.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you all might have. For us, we are very pleased with Atlantic Towers, their products and their support.
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI