Roll Stop Hatch

Previous topic - Next topic

ghebbns

Hi all,
My 1990 C34 has the infamous Lemar Roll stop hatch.  Like most of them I have read about, it no longer stops on any of the settings so the only way I can keep it open is to wedge a piece of wood under it.  I know there are hinge replacement kits, but after examining it this weekend, I am not sure I want to go that route.  Removing the two hinge pins does not look like a trivial task and from what I have read, it will only be a matter of time before the same problem starts occuring.
I am thinking about converting the hatch to a more "normal" setup by adding a hatch adjuster arm.  My problem is that from what I can see, the only way to attach this arm to the hatch is by drilling through the acrylic hatch itself.  Has anyone does this?  I expect it would be similar to adding a solar fan (which I had on my previous C30).  I was thinking of using a ceramic drill bit.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Greg
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

Ron Hill

Greg : You are facing the same dilemma that I pondered for over 25 years!!  No place to attach the arm except in the hatch lens!!

I finally gave up and kept using the repair kits.  Got it down to where I could replace those stops in less than 30 minutes.  Did that many times - not too difficult!!

Then the "KEY" is to NEVER leave that Roll Stop hatch in anything, but it's detent positions!!!!!!

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

ghebbns

Thanks Ron.  How did you get the pins out?  I tried to hammer them out this weekend but that was a no go.  I should have taken a picture but they did not look like normal hinge pins.
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

Noah

I use a 10 in. teak "dog bone" to hold mine open at about a 35-degree angle. Works fine. Sometimes low tech is the way to go. 8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Noah's approach makes a LOT of sense.  First, yas don't break nuttin'!!!  I was at the Canada West Coast Catalina Rendezvous this weekend.  All different size boats, but almost everyone with a clear hatch had some variety of "holder" to keep 'em up.  One nice one was a rolled blanket, pattern of your choice.  We have one of those dreaded solid hatches, you know, the ones that the new-fangled guys said were too old school and kept the V berth too dark.  Those same guys who, when they first got their boats, made covering the hatches up with expensive canvas their first chore because it was too light in there to sleep past 0600.  :shock:

Really?  Or you could listen to Ron and just get good at it.   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Greg : If you look closely at the hinge pins you'll find that on one end is a small "C" clip.  Pop off that clip and then drive out the pin from that end.  As I recall the clip is on the outside so you drive out the pin to the inside.

As mentioned - You can also use the "low tech "window crutch".  To get more complicated the crutch can have a few notches for different degrees of opening!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

ghebbns

Thanks Ron.  I am pretty sure there is no C clip on my hinge pins.  I am going to the boat tomorrow and will take some pictures.  I read online about other people with similar pins having to drill them out.  I will post the pics once I have them and see what you think.

I have to admit, the low tech option is looking better and better :)

Greg
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

Ron Hill

Greg : Maybe your 1990 Rollstop is different.  I know that the 1989 and the 1988 are the same.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

ghebbns

I assume I have to remove the black rubber piece to expose the c-ring.  It did not want to come out easily and I would likely have to destroy it to get it out.  The low tech option is looking better and better :)
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

mark_53

Your post made me check mine. Looks like the pin is coming out by itself.
My solution for now is a flashlight. No need to make something new.

Craig Illman

Wow! A flashlight? I was just using one of my shoes!  :thumb:

ghebbns

I have been using a piece of wood, but we have a new puppy on board and I am worried that she may hit the board while poking her nose in the hatch and have the whole thing fall on her head.  For now, I have a small piece of wood that I am jamming in the hinge end of the hatch.  I found a piece that keeps the hatch open at the perfect angle and I don't have to worry about it being knocked out.

Someday I would like to have this working as normal, but there are higher issues on my priority list.  Thanks for all the help.

Greg
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

Noah

Yeah, you don't want your fingers or puppy in there when it drops. Could wedge the cornor of a throwable foam PFD cushion in there so it doesn't drop all the way if/when the stick "trips".
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Mark : Your pin is coming out. The "C" clip is on the outside of the pin.  The 2 black pieces that center the pin also slide inside the cut out in the side hatch frame.  The pins drive out from the outside to the inside.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Greg

Lewmar has an add-on telescoping, twist-lock hatch stay  -- yes you drill the lens.  They have them for up to Size 70 hatches.  If you need more info PM me.

ken

Quote from: ghebbns on July 16, 2017, 02:51:50 PM
Hi all,
My 1990 C34 has the infamous Lemar Roll stop hatch.  Like most of them I have read about, it no longer stops on any of the settings so the only way I can keep it open is to wedge a piece of wood under it.  I know there are hinge replacement kits, but after examining it this weekend, I am not sure I want to go that route.  Removing the two hinge pins does not look like a trivial task and from what I have read, it will only be a matter of time before the same problem starts occuring.
I am thinking about converting the hatch to a more "normal" setup by adding a hatch adjuster arm.  My problem is that from what I can see, the only way to attach this arm to the hatch is by drilling through the acrylic hatch itself.  Has anyone does this?  I expect it would be similar to adding a solar fan (which I had on my previous C30).  I was thinking of using a ceramic drill bit.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Greg
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain