Cutting the Salon Table

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Spicer

Stu, GO FOR IT !!! Tape the formica, set your fence and blade, make your cut.  A good 60 or 80 tooth carbide blade would be best. 40 teeth may be ok if it is a new blade. If you are worried about heat build up in the blade, make one or two cuts and go have a cup of coffee.  Then go make your last cut with a cool blade. Check the holes where the mounting bracket was screwed on. If they expanded or caused a splinter from being tightened, smooth or lightly countersink the holes so they don't catch the edge of the table as you make your cut. Epoxy or glue on a matching trim piece to hide the plywood edge, finish it and enjoy your new "elbow" room.
   A thought, an "old timer" I know waxes all his tables, saws, router, planer, jointer, etc. so everything slides nicely. 
   Just some thoughts

Phil
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Hugh17

Based solely on your question about HOW TO CUT the existing countertop laminated to plywood table you will need a carbide top blade on a table saw. Run the material through with the countertop (Formica) up. Most important, you need a blade with as many teeth as possible based on the size blade your table saw will handle.

You can make a test cut about an inch from the edge in the table top to test your cutting procedure. Once comfortable then make your finish cut. Another "trick" that will help a little is to use a 2" wide heavy masking tap centered over the cut line on the countertop (Formica).

I hope this helps.
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25

Jeff Tancock

I can't wait to see outcome of this experiment Stu!
Good luck and don't forget to count your fingers before and after (LOL).
Cheers
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp