What Is This? Seals Possibly??

Previous topic - Next topic

BradinPCB

So TS Cindy blew through to west and caused a ton of rain in my area.  My boat, which only had 3 minor leaks under normal conditions, showed her true colors and leaked from about every port light, hatch, and even some other areas that causes me concern. 

The water in the bucket under the port v-berth port light had these in it.  That's a scuba mask case they're in so they're incredibly small, unbroken, a bit firm but still squishy.  If seals, I would've thought they'd be broken or dry-rotted. 

*sigh* As a new boat owner way out of my depth, I'm starting to get a little more than discouraged..... 

Jim Hardesty

I have no Idea what they are.  Please help us answer your questions by adding to your signature boat year, hull number, engine model, what MK series ie MK1 etc.
Something I do with my opening port gaskets is wipe with SuperLube.  I wipe a little on then then wipe off to the touch.
Lots of luck with being a new boat owner.  My 2cents on that is I like working on my boat, almost as much as sailing.  The quote is "nothing is as worthwhile doing as messing about in boats" .  I'm sure that isn't an exact quote.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

Here you go Jim...........

"Is it so nice as all that?" asked the mole, shyly...

"Nice? It's the only thing," said the Water Rat Solemnly, as he leaned forward for his stroke. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."

"Simply messing...about in boats -- or with boats... In or out of 'em it doesn't matter. Nothing seems to matter, that's the charm of it. Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

"Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together and have a long day of it.?"
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

BradinPCB

Yep, sorry.  Didn't even think about that.  She's a Cat '88, H#CTYP0808F888, Universal M25XP.  None of my official documentation mentions any sort of MK anything.  Hope that helps and thanks. 

They're mostly leaking from the turnbuckle where it there's a little cup groove for it to turn and lock into.  I have read there are seals in there.  How on earth they could leak out without being broken is a mystery to me.

BradinPCB

And I SOOO look forward to working on it when not having this ignorant, in-over-my-head, desperate feeling.  That will be welcomed. 

Dave Spencer

Your boat is a Mk I given the date and hull number that you provided.  It's best if you add this information to your signature which can be done by clicking "profile" in the blue bar above and then clicking "forum profile".
Hang in there.  It will get better and there is tons of help available on this forum.  The combined experience and knowledge here should help you get out of almost any jam.  Learn to use the "Search" tool in the blue bar also. Lots of common and uncommon questions have already been asked and answered many times.  In fact, you'll likely find answers to questions that you didn't even know that you had!
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

anon

I'm with Rat. Nothing else comes close.
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

J_Sail

And are you 100% certain they were not already sitting in the bucket, having gotten there from somewhere else?

BradinPCB

100% certain. LOL  Thanks for the support folks. :)