engine instrument panel

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Same switch at auto parts store. 
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : In the 1986 and 1987 C34 engine instrument panels the key switch is a 2 position switch with a separate glow plug switch next to the starter switch.
In the 1988 and subsequent engine panels the key switch is a 3 position switch with the glow plugs in the momentary (spring loaded) position.

As Stu said these are auto store parts. 
Look in some of the Marine catalogs and you'll find the rubber boots that will protect the switches from rain and direct moisture.  A shot of WD40 also helps the key switch.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Thanks for the heads up on the three position switch Ron.

The three position cole hersee is p/n M-550 BP.  Same weather cap as the 2 position.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Hawk

Thanks guys. I did see the Catalina Direct 3 - position switch. I'll see if I can source one locally in Vancouver at an auto parts. Thanks for the other option as well Ken. I'll have a look at that.

Catalina Direct switch:

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/1303/3-position-ignition-switch.cfm

Appreciate it!
Tom
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

KWKloeber

I mention the CH p/ns because I wouldn't use just "any old" auto ignition switch. If you're in the salt air and in the cockpit, I'd use only a marine grade. Many auto parts carry CH.

JTSO, others mileage may differ.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Guys : The key switch that Catalina installed lasted less than a year!! I noted that the "weep hole " was on the top!!

The auto parts replacement is still going strong 28 years later!!!   :clap
It has a rubber boot on it and I have a full Lexan panel over the instruments with 1 inch holes drilled to get the key/finger thru.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Hawk

My local NAPA store has the 3 position Cole Hersee M-550 BP suggested by Ken and the weather cap so we'll give that a whirl and see if we can beat the gremlins back a little.

Thanks again for all the comments and will advise on the outcome.

Tom

Noah

BTW- the metal in those key blanks is a bit flimsy, I have a bent one. Make a copy in case.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Guys : Talking about Gremlins :  One afternoon I took out the engine instrument panel and soldered each and every ring clip wire connection!!  It took me about 4 hours. Never had a gremlin after that.

BTW, I found that the auto 194 bulbs for each of the instruments was overheating & cracking the Bakelite holders.  I replaced all 4 of the 194 bulbs with red LED replacements which run much cooler. 
Also wrote an article on the Engine Panel LED bulbs in the Mainsheet Tech Notes.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Hawk

I've got a bulb out so will follow up on that Ron.

And the new 3 position Cole Hersee M-550 BP ignition switch suggested by Ken went in finally and all engine instruments are operating normally again. Long may it last!

Thanks for the help guys.

Tom