engine instrument panel

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

The CD fuel level sender is just a Moeller.  Very reputable company, and the unit is available many places.  That said, the CD price is (surprisingly) very good.  CD must have a distributor deal, it's basically at dealer (not distributor) cost.

Any idea why that couldn't be coupled with a $20 gauge, for a reasonable-cost holding tank gauge?

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Jon : If you look in the Mainsheet tech Notes you'll find an article that I wrote about  "Replacing the Fuel Sender"  with some pictures!!

Great Info in those old tech notes!!

a thought
Ron, Apache #788

anon

Awesome stuff as usual guys.  :clap
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

Jon W

Thanks Ron, I did see your PDF about cleaning the tank and replacing the fuel sender with a Tempo brand unit. My fuel sender is working but I'm interested in the reed switch vertical float type.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

britinusa

Quote from: Jon W on June 21, 2017, 09:28:37 PM
Anyone have experience with the fuel gauge sending unit shown on that Catalina Direct page?
Yes, we had the old swinging arm sender and replaced it with the CD unit. Works great. It appears to provide levels at about each 1/8 of tank and reads empty well before the tank is that low.

The note about the holes being aligned is important. Once I was able to get the unit installed, I made a mark on both the sender and the tank to make future reinstall after removals easy.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Hawk

While considering the engine instrument panel..... I noticed last month in the San Juan Islands that on starting the engine all of the engine instruments including the tach remained off for about 15 seconds while the engine was running before the indicator needles all moved together to their usual positions including the tach.
All then remained normal while motoring. I've done the new harness and had the alternator renewed 3 years ago.

Any thoughts?? Thanks

Tom
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Dave Spencer

Hello Hawk,
Mine does that too, by design. In my case, it's called a "soft start" alternator (actually controlled by the regulator) that allows the engine to get running stably before applying alternator loads. I've had no trouble with it. I suspect this new behaviour was introduced when you redid your alternator three years ago. I don't see anything to worry about based on your description.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Craig Illman

I've had that happen with the tach, the regulator waiting for the engine to warm a few seconds and usually the voltage climbs slowly too, but I've never had that behavior with the other instruments. Hawk - when you turned on the key, before starting the engine, did the fuel gauge work? I'd confirm a good ground to the panel.

Craig

Hawk

Thanks guys. This is a new issue as of a month ago.
Craig, I believe the fuel pump beep was sounding but I'll double check.
I've had the panel off before but am I looking for something in particular for confirming a good ground to the panel, as you mentioned??

Many thanks
Tom

KWKloeber

Make sure everything is tight, especially the terminals on your key switch and you have a good power coming off the switch, as well as the ground previously mentioned.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ron Hill

Guys : It makes no difference if the fuel float is on an arm or goes up/down on a shaft.

The tank is still asymmetrical and the best way to know what's left in the tank is to use time = .5 gal/hr fuel consumption for the M25&M25XP engines.

a thought
Ron, Apache #788

Hawk

Thanks Ken and Craig. I'll check as suggested and report back.
Tom

Hawk

I checked and cleaned the terminal connections on the ignition switch which seem fine. However twice now on start-up the engine instruments remain off but when I jiggled the key in the ignition switch....poof they all flashed on and remained so thereafter.

Looking a little more on the website I located this below thread from 2008 that sounds similar, not perhaps identical as  I have no problem starting the engine. Looks like a replacement ignition switch solved the problem. I think I'll see if I can locate one to try as a replacement. Anyone purchased one recently? I presume marine or auto parts stores may carry it hopefully.

Here's the 2008 thread below.........

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4381.0.html

Tom

KWKloeber

Tom

I use Cole Hersee switches on all my panels.   if you have a 2-position, it's p/n M-489-BP ($27), and the weather boot is p/n 83288-BP ($8.)  Defender usually has them in stock or of not I can get them for you.

ken

Noah

Catalina Direct has them and the rest of the engine panel components as well.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig