Heat Exchanger install can't remove transmission dipstick.

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

Happy Fathers Day...From frustrated head down in aft cabin trying to figure out how to re-mount my heat exchanger so I can check transmission oil. I have the SeaKamp 3in. replacement, which was installed last year using the provided mounting saddle/hose clamp arrangement bolted to engine. Worked fine EXCEPT I cannot remove transmission dip stick. So FINALLY decided to "fix". Thought I could just loosen bolts and raise it up a bit but mounting tangs are too short. Then discovered by prying it up, that even if I had longer slotted tangs on the saddle mount, when I pry it up all the way until it hits the exhaust flange (a big no-no), it still doesn't give enough clearance to remove dip stick. In photo you can see HX pried up with hammer handle and the threaded dipstick extended, but still not removable. What am I missing? Has anyone successfully used this SeaKamp replacement and its mounting bracket? I am considering making a new extended "L" bracket that would bring HX 3+ inches aft so transmission dip stick pulls out in front of it.  Am I crazy, is there a better way?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Craig Illman

Have you tried the tangs on the aft side of the HX? Shifting the HX farther forward?

Craig

Noah

Flip the bracket around with saddle on the back?  I will take a look.
Standard Rig

Craig Illman

yes, while I didn't do the exact replacement. I think that's how mine was mounted.

Craig

Stu Jackson

Noah, SIMPLE:  the brackets should be mounted on the top, not the side/back of the engine.  This moves the HX a tad aft but no higher, easily clears the riser.  Then the transmission dipstick is forward of the HX.  I use an 11/16" (or 9/16", I forget) socket on an extender bar with butyl tape inside the socket to pull the stick.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Quote from: Stu Jackson on June 18, 2017, 12:12:24 PM
Noah, SIMPLE:  the brackets should be mounted on the top, not the side/back of the engine.  This moves the HX a tad aft but no higher, easily clears the riser.  Then the transmission dipstick is forward of the HX.  I use an 11/16" (or 9/16", I forget) socket on an extender bar with butyl tape inside the socket to pull the stick.

Stu the Hx on the M-25 mounts differently than on the XP. 

On our M-25, it mounts on the flat behind the engine. On the XP, it mounts with brackets that bolt into the bell housing. 

The M-25 and XP have different bell housings, the XP with a semi circular indent to accept the Hx.

The two different BHs are shown -- M-25 (w/flat) above, XP (w/ cutout) below:

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

Noah

There's a couple possibilities. 

One C-30 M-25XP customer who did an exhaust refit, had a new bracket fabricated that moved his Hx back away from the tranny and dipstick access was easy.

Another, easier way (if you have room like we do on the C-30 t0 slide the Hx as needed) is to install the port bracket so the clamp is not over the dipstick (reverse the two clamps.)

With a ball pein hammer, "install" a slight dent in the Hx case, above the dipstick.  Not directly above, but in the bottom quarter of the Hx case.  Just above where your dipstick hits the Hx when it is bolted in place and the dipster is angled out of the hole. 

I "installed" my dimple -- about the size of a nickel and maybe 3/16" deep.  I put the ball pein head against the Hx and tapped the head to "install" my dimple.  Works like a gold charm and I can slide the dipstick out, past the dimple in the 3" body. The 3" Hx is so oversized for the 3-cyl engine that it doesn't the effect capacity.
Pix of both the extendo-bracket and the dimple "install" are attached.

Note that Dan's below (one of the first XPs) has the old M-25 style bell housing -- but (if you want to do the fix the unnecessary hard way) you can get a similar bracket fabbed that bolts to the vertical, instead of the horizontal flat.

kk

Ron Hill

Noah : What was wrong with the original M25XP saddle that your old 3" HX sat in?
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Old saddle, unfortunately gone with old HX. Craig flipping around bracket made it slighly better but no cigar. Ken. I remember reading your dimple trick but am not sure dimple would give enough clearance. The other end of my pry hammer is a ballpean, so I have the tools, just not sure I have the guts to hit it! Also I was hoping to not have to remove hoses. Can I wack it still hooked up or need to disconnect?
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Noah,

Are you saying that your HX mounted on saddle that bolted  to a horizontal flat on the bell housing? ( top BH below?) Or was your HX mounted to the vertical of the BH ( bottom bell housing below?)

I installed my dimple in place. So that I could align exactly where I needed it relative to the dipstick. Remember that I have the M-25, so the HX might sit in a slightly different position than yours. However, I believe mine sits further  back than on yours, so when yours is bolted in it may be further forward than mine. Just something you have to slide the dipstick up and judge whether a dimple will let it pass. For me it was an easy thing to see, and an easy fix   

Noah

Mine mounts to back of bell housing on vertical you can see two tangs in my previous photo. Tried the dimple, still not enough clearance. Don't want to hammer any deeper plus it is very hard to get a good swing on it in that space upside down. Done for today. I am "considering" having a new saddle bracket made to bring it way aft and low to clear riser too.
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

OK, tahnks to Ken K I stand corrected.  Learn somethin' new everyday.  :D  Years ago I had the idea of remotely mounting the HX, perhaps on hooks connected to the wood above.  Of course, it would mean longer hoses, but it would take it off the vibrating engine.  I didn't do that, but I did put a rubber bicycle tube between the saddle and the HX.  Good luck, Noah.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Stu,

Thanks for jogging my memory on the off engine.

But I wasn't completely accurate, the first XP engines used (used up) the m-25 bell housings and the mount that you described (but eliminated the oil switch that on the M-25 was originally located behind the engine.
Then on later XP engines, universal switched to the newer style bell housing.

Noah,
Another C-30 owner who installed the water cooled riser option, moved his Hx in a vertical  location adjacent to the engine ( there's nothing magical about having the HX mounted horizontally.)

If you're familiar with the C-30 engine compartment, there's a space on the stbd side of the tranny with plenty of space.

kk

Noah

Thx guys. Trying to figure out new mounting system/bracket/location, while hopefully saving my "new" hoses and minimize annoying time upside down taking things apart again. What I do find unacceptable is removing HX to check transmission fluid so that's gonna change. I surprised I am breaking new ground here but...?
Standard Rig