chartplotter advice needed

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

i have a REALLY old garmin chartplotter, so old that it can't be upgraded and has street maps on it.  when i spoke to the garmin rep at strictly sail, he said i can use the transducer already on the boat, since it works, but i need a chartplotter that also has wind speed, a speed instrument, and a plotter.  my depth instrument works.  will a 742 work for this?  i can't make heads or tails from the garmin site.  thanks

-becki kain
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

David Comando

I am in the second year with my Garmin 741XS. It is a Multi Function Display on the 2000 network. It has it all, more than I will use (Fish finder). It just became part of my wind, depth and speed bundle, GNX 20. After having my Datamarine fail three times, repaired twice I figured it was time to replace the 1987 original equipment. I love it.
David Comando, 1987 Kindred Spirit, Hull# 55 sailing the waters of Eastern Long Island, and to other points in the Northeast.

anaisdog

guess i'll just get the 742 since it's slightly newer but the same size screen . thanks

Jim Hardesty

FWIW    I just installed a B&G Zeus2-7 remanufactured from Defender.

http://search.defender.com/?expression=260447rem&s=1&Trigger=ac

I felt the price was very good.  Having a nema 183 output for my radio distress signal was the decision maker.  Did need to call the 800 B&G teck support for the radio hook up.  Was worth the long wait.  They were great.  The B&G is easy and intuitive to use, I detested my Raymarine I couldn't set up a trip without going to the manual then I'd still screw it up during the trip. 
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

anaisdog

huh.  wonder if it would work with the garmin transducer that is already there.  i'll call defender.  thanks

KWKloeber

Quote from: anaisdog on June 18, 2017, 06:55:10 AM
huh.  wonder if it would work with the garmin transducer that is already there.  I'll call defender.  thanks

Here's my BnG rep:

John
bg.tech@navico.com

When I last checked on upgrading to some newer BnG displays he said MOST of the older stuff doesn't work with the newer BnG but maybe he can help you.

kk

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain