creating threads for instrument panel cover

Previous topic - Next topic

anon

I really like the idea of creating a full size acrylic cover with cut-outs. If I am going to do it "properly", this is the way to go I think. I will make a template this weekend when I visit.
The old panel was split down the middle and none of the fixing screws have any bite.
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

KWKloeber

I've done this two ways.,

A panel with cut outs for key, start, and preheat buttons.

And a cover  with cut outs w/ acrylic "door covers" that swing shut to cover the holes

The key is to ensure you have waterproof switches. Then they can be in the elements if you want or covered if you want. All the panels I do have weathertight alarms, key switch, pushbutton switches, and toggle switches.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Sophie : Note that I didn't say acrylic, I said poly carbonate (Lexan).

It is much stronger, flexable and will not crack.   :thumb:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on June 16, 2017, 01:15:58 PM
Sophie : Note that I didn't say acrylic, I said poly carbonate (Lexan).

It is much stronger, flexable and will not crack.   :thumb:

A thought

In the interest of full disclosure, before  choosing Lexan versus acrylic for an application, check out its properties (vs acrylic) regarding surface scratching.  Which for some applications is more important than strength (unless you're going to sit on the panel cover.).  :-)

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ken Juul

not as technical as the rest of the fixes.  You need some round tooth picks, I'm sure you have some on board for your next happy hour or save some from happy hours hosted by others.  Insert the tooth pick in the hole, insert the screw and turn until tight.  Break off left over tooth pick.  Simple, fast, works.  No stress on the screw, why spend mini boat bucks?  Save the boat bucks for the projects that you really to spend money on.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

anaisdog

where can i get the plexi to replace the splash guard?  mine is broken .
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Noah

Catalina Direct has them for $28 (+/-) or probably get a scrap at a local plastics place for $5(+/-) and cut yourself.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

anaisdog

KWKloeber

Quote from: anaisdog on June 18, 2017, 06:57:37 AM
where can i get the plexi to replace the splash guard?  mine is broken .

Unless you have a place closer, the same company that made your windows.

If you can cut it yourself, cut offs of plexiglass panels can be found on both eBay and craigslist. I've purchased plastic of various thicknesses sizes and colors.

kk

anaisdog

jmcdonald

Got mine from lowes (or Home Depot, or any big box home store).
Use a very fine saw blade when cutting. Drill slowly.

Noah

Becki. The CD cover comes pre-drilled. But if drilling your own, first  file off the leading edge/cutting "hook"  of the drill bit. In effect, you want to burn through the plastic to avoid cracking it.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

All : You can go to any retailer that does Windows and if you have the size they will cut the plastic for you.

If you are a do-it-yourselfer use a band saw or a variable speed saber/jig saw.  Drill holes with a variable speed or slow drill.  Look for a Plastics/Wondows dealer and you can probably get a scrap piece for free.
Much cheaper than going to CD + shipping!! 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788